Olympia aborted...

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've never had a doe abort before so it was rather surprising to hear someone yelling outside. I didn't hear it well so it took me a while to realize it and go to the window. I saw her standing there and thought I saw something swing from behind her. She was facing me and not yelling at the time. So I got my boots and went out. When I got to her she had already dropped the kid and was turned around to lick it. It was a gold/white moonspotted buckling. He was trying to breath and looked obviously premature. She was on day 121. He had hair and all, just still had that premie look about his head shape, ears and feet. Like the feet were too big for him. He died shortly after being born though she cleaned him. I didn't try very hard to revive him because I knew his lungs would be too under developed anyway and he would die eventually and all I would have done is prolong it.

I'm very sad... kind of in a trance since I'm still shocked about it. She has been very healthy and doing excellent up to this point. I don't check ligaments this early and her udder has not changed at all (even felt it and it was not firm at all) so I had no indication she was close. She ate her grain this AM and went out with the group for hay. I imagine if I'd been watching I would have seen her later go off by herself but I didn't watch not suspecting anything.

:tears:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Ashely I am so sorry :( :hug:

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Thanks, Olympia is doing well. She'd laid down beside him on the towel but she stopped cleaning him so I think she knows. Waiting for her to pass the placenta.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  5. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I'm so sorry! :( I bet she got hit by another doe....

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah that is very possible. She's no where near the top of the pecking order here. I guess I'll never really know. I'm so sad, but I'm glad Olympia is ok. It would have been so much worse if I'd lost her.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how sad...I am so sorry..... :( :hug:

8. Nublyans

Nublyans New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I'm So Sorry to hear the sad news... :(

9. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Darn it all, I'm so sorry! :(

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm sorry, give Olympia some love from me :hug:

11. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    :hug: Oh gosh I am sorry for you and her.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am sorry she aborted on you Ashley. Don't feel bad for not checking on her. The same thing happened with me and Dawn. It's a terrible thing. :tears: :hug:

13. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I'm so sorry Ashley. I'm gald Olympia is doing ok. That is so sad. :hug:

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Thanks everyone.

She's sore and sad. She isn't walking around crying looking for her baby or anything, so she's doing well with that. Just a little depressed I think. She's still eating and hanging out with the herd so that's good. She passed the placenta earlier too.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ashley, I am so sorry for the loss. I am glad to hear that she did pass the placenta and is acting otherwise normal.

It is so horrible. :hug:

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry Ashley, give momma lots of love and don't be blaming yourself, these things happen and I'm sure that there really was nothing you could do :hug: Olympia is young and healthy, there will be a next time for her.

17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm so sorry. :( That is so hard...

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had a girl abort at 52 days (I think it was) gestation. It is sad.

I am sorry you lost them :hug:

19. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She wouldn't eat dinner tonight. She's depressed. Hope she doesn't have any internal injuries. She's still doing everything with the herd. Went up the hill to wait for dinner like they always do and she came down the hill to the barn at put-up time like usual. Just didn't eat. I really like Olympia too. I know there's always a future for breeding again. Poor girl, I feel horrible for her. She acted just like she should for a new mom and would have been a great mother.

I don't feel like I could have done things much differently. I mean I got there just as he was born so there wasn't anything I could have done differently to change the outcome, he was just too early. Still sad. The other two soon-to-be FF aren't acting any different and are still round and sassy. So hopefully they will do just fine. They're more dominant than Olympia.

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ashley, I believe you did the right thing. I am sure that baby would not of made it even if you would tried. :hug: yes it is sad, but it is a way of life. Give mom some extra love, Nurta drench and maybe some warm oatmeal if she wants it. Poor baby.