The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the heat getting stupid again here in the SW (that's SW Canada) I've been watching more Olympic events than usual. And since no one has started a thread, I thought I would.

The 2020 Olympics --- Did no one look at the calendar???

It has been odd seeing the empty seats at all the events this year, especially the empty soccer stadium.

Anyway, I'd like to see some comments relating to the Olympics (summer and /or winter).
Do you follow/watch events?
Which events are your favs, which are not?
Which events should be added to the Olympics, which should be removed.
How important is the medal count?
Do you mostly follow individual athletes, specific events or a country?
Or any other Olympic related opinions.

Let the games begin. :)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I've never watched the Olympics, but the only things I'm slightly interested in are the equestrian events. My mom used to sometimes turn on the Olympics when I was a kid, but I usually got bored and left because it was nothing but commercials interrupted by boring back stories and controversy. Actual competition coverage was so short and fragmented I could never get into watching. After I got married 22 years ago I never had television so watching wasn't even an option.

However, one of my favorite movies is "The First Olympics: Athens 1896". Well, I guess it was offered as a tv miniseries (not a movie) back in the 1980's but it plays like a long, well-made movie and it's really enjoyable. If you can find it, I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I’ve been watching the Olympics! So interesting to see sports I didn’t even know that existed.

Reactions: Goatastic43

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
We are watching what we can. Chevani is routing for Canada and I am routing for New Zealand. I was just shocked South Africa arrived in zebra clothes at the opening ceremony...
Equestrian is what we want to see.
I cannot believe we got a silver in the surfing.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Haha they’re have been some interesting outfit choices for sure. I found myself loving watching skateboarding and swimming mainly because my sister knew of quite a few of the athletes on US swim team and they were doing amazing.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
750 Posts
We love the Olympics! My personal favorite is gymnastics! I was so sad when Simone Biles dropped out... Mountain biking, beach volleyball, and equestrian competitions are fun too!

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We love the Olympics! My personal favorite is gymnastics! I was so sad when Simone Biles dropped out... Mountain biking, beach volleyball, and equestrian competitions are fun too!
Mountain biking?? Had to look that up. Wow! 1.5 hour race up and down hill. Quite the endurance sport. I'm impressed, but lost interest watching.

But the Olympics are an opportunity to watch new sports at a high level. I just discovered there was speed sport climbing. I'll have to give that a watch next week.

·
8,476 Posts
I saw one dressage horse. A German lady rode. Such beautiful horses. They look like they are dancing! Many years ago, I did entry level dressage. The professionals are so beautiful to watch! Nothing like amateur 4H kids. (Which I was!)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Something about she couldn’t handle the pressure...
From a CBC article:
-----------------------------------------------------
But there were some ominous signs. Biles didn't perform all that well, by her standards, at the U.S. trials last month, and she also seemed off during the qualifying round in Tokyo over the weekend. Most people brushed it off, though. Despite her struggles, Biles still became the first gymnast ever to qualify for all six women's events at an Olympics. Plus, this is Simone Biles. The GOAT. Surely she'd pull it together once the medals were on the line.

Right away, though, it became painfully obvious that was not how this was going to play out. In the first rotation of the team final, competing in her signature discipline, Biles "got lost in the air," as they say, on her vault attempt and performed a less-difficult maneuver than planned. She placed sixth out of the six athletes who competed on the vault in the first rotation — a clear sign that she was unable to control her body in the air like she normally does. Biles explained later that she just wasn't in the headspace required to perform, and felt it would be best for everyone if she dropped out of the event and let her teammates try to defend the Olympic title without her.
-------------------------------------------------
GOAT = Greatest Of All Time (Many of you probably knew that but I had to look it up.)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts