OMG! I am a goat midwife!!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by capi71, Jan 28, 2009.

1. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    OK! So yesterday I went to a horse barn for a barn manager position. I am not really needing a job, but the owner really needs help. So I went to see what kind of trouble she was in. On my way out there I get a call from the owner saying she was running late and to make myself at home. Little did she know what that was going to mean.
    As I arrived (4:30) I noticed two little Pygmy goats in a stall. The owner had mentioned that the nanny was pregnant but had no idea when she was due. OMG! She was in labor and the buck was still breeding her. So I found a lead rope and pulled him out. When I got back to "Bunny" she was trembling and exhausted from running from the buck. Her ligs were gone, udder tight! Now I have never seen a goat deliver in person...only the pictures here on the forum. I called my good friend Kate (Helmstead) and she confirmed my thoughts and stayed on the line through the whole ordeal. LOVE YOU KATE!!!!
    So Bunny's water broke at 5:00 and bubble presented at 5:10. Then I see 1 hoof and a nose. AHHHHH! Only ONE HOOF! So at 5:20, after letting her push a little I slid my hand in (now let me remind you that my other hand is holding the phone and Kate is talking me through it) and with a little pressure on his head I helped that little black buck pop right out. YEAH!! I no more got him dried off that another bubble. Ahhhhh! Another one! So here comes a caramel doe that slides out with no trouble at all. The momma did so great and went right to her job of cleaning and caring for the babies. Turns out the Momma is only 11 months old. Sheesh!!!
    So at 6:00 after everything is done and babies are looking good the owner arrives with no comprehension of what WE had all been through. She slaps me on the back and says they will name the doe after me. "Kelly"
    What a blessing that I was there for Bunny and I am soooooo grateful to Kate for all the help and support! I am also soooooooo grateful that I got to experience this because my doe is due Feb 9 and I now have a birth under my belt.
    :leap: :leap:

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Wow talk about being at the right place at the right time!
    So did you get the job! :slapfloor:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Congrats!!! :stars: Thank goodness that you were there!

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ha ha, that doe thought she was going to pull a fast one on her mom and then you arrived and didn't let her. :ROFL:

Anyways, Great job and congrats on your first goat birth experience. :thumb:

5. Candy

Candy New Member

Great job! :dance: Did you get the job? :ROFL:
    Candy :sun:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congratulations!!! Good thing you arrived whe you did...it could have bee disastrous had you not gotten that buck away from her....good thing you had a buddy to talk to, we'll definately be needing pics of Kelly and her brother! :leap:

7. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    These were taken on my phone so quality isn't great...but here goes....

:boy:
    [​IMG]

:girl: "Kelly"
    [​IMG]

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    O MY! Bunny is a VERY pretty carmel mommy...an little Kelly looks to be marked just like her! the little boy is "little" lol

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations. What a wonderful job you did. :stars:

10. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Congrats!! :leap: Excellent job! :leap: The kids are so ADORABLE! :love:

11. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    :cool: You did well! Thank goodness you got one under your belt before your actual goats arrive! I HAD to resize your pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    You did a fantastic job delivering those babies! Gosh only knows the outcome if you hadn't been there. You should be so proud of yourself! :hi5:
    What a way to get firsthand experience... now you are prepared for your own.

I am sure you got the job after that :thumbup: !

13. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Congrats to you and the mom!You both did a great job!!

14. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Congratulations on a job well done! :thumbup:

15. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Wow! Talk about the right place at the right time!

If you don't get the job, maybe the owner should get a midwife bill??? Or pick of the litter??? :dance:

Great job!

16. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    Thanks Mama Kate!! You always take care of me!! :hug:
    The little buck, who I couldn't get a picture of because he wasn't standing due to the leg being bent backwards, is doing great and standing now. It's amazing how resiliant they are.
    Oh....I did get the job....IF I want it. :shrug:

17. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I have never had anyone tell me about a job interview like that :ROFL:

Well done! :thumb:

Suellen

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    great work!! thats so cool.

(you might want to suggest the buck have his own place or he may breed her back right away and with her being so young already that wouldnt be healthy)

19. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Congrats... I'm really loving hearing good birthing stories! :stars:

20. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    btw did you get the job? :)