OMG Need mini horse help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, May 30, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so my mare is coughing and foaming at the mouth, I think she has something lodged in her throught and cant seem to cough it up! I cannot afford a vet right now as we are negative $400 in the bank (thanks hubby) and need help. She is able to breath but I dont want to wake up to a dead horse. Please help!

2. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    One of our horses did this a couple of times when we were feeding crimped oats.
    We had to just massage his throat VERY GENTLY to help get it unlodged. Since horses breath through their nose he should still be able to breath ok, unless the object is big enough to cut off airways totally. Some people may tell you to flush it with a water hose (we got that advice) but do not do this. you can put small amounts of water into her mouth to encourage her to try to drink but the forces of the hose might but water into the lungs.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Is she streching her neck around? And making yawning gestures with her mouth? Can you feel the mass in her throat?

I have had onlly one horse that choked in 45 years of horsekeeping. After that it was chronic with him. I cleared the massed by massaging as all1965 said- I could feel the mass in his throat. Also I found that by taking him away from his buddies, he would start calling to them and that cleared the masses a couple of time.

He did not foam at the mouth. Or cough. Are you sure she doesn't have something stuck in her mouth- like a stick wedged in the back of her teeth? You can check by grabbing her tongue and holding it sideways between her molars and looking- sometimes you need a flashing light. The other thing that occurs to me is that she ate something that is irritating to her- maybe an allegic reaction.

Choke can do damage to the throat- as I said I watch the one boy like a hawk after that because choke would happen easily to him.

PS By this time, something probably has resolved? Is your girl OK?

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I hope she is better by now. I've had several horses choke. Only one needed the vet. They usually can fix it themselves after a lot of drooling and hacking. It looks worse than it is most of the time.

Once she has cleared you might want to give her some Bute if you have it, Banamine is best. It will help with the swelling.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    How's your horse? Hope she's OK. :hug:

6. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Sorry guys I had to lay down for a while since I was up till 4 am with her then took her to the vet at 6 this morning. Her throat became very swollen and she was doing worse. she then had white foam coming from her mouth and nose. We took her to the vet and he tried tubing her but he couldent get the tube past the trachea...I think is what he said. We think that there was just sooooo much swelling that she couldent even swollow. So we left her there and they put her on antibiotics and muscle relaxers to try and get the swelling down to pass the tube. Pray for this little girl. I still owe $700 on her and hope my vet bill is not too expensive. DOnations are accepted lol. Ok well thank you all for your help. I just am praying that she can pass it!

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I will be praying for her and you. :hug:

Thats rare that they choke as bad as she did. I had to get my one horse tubed for it, but the vet managed to clear it after a lot of flushing.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I'm sorry and hope she is well soon. It sounds like she had to go to the vets. I knew when I posted that something would have happened before I wrote. My vet said that chokes either clear themselves before he can get there or they are a big problem.
    I do know what you mean about vet bills- they are never small and frequently come when you can't afford it at all.
    My favorite bumper sticker was "Equus Keepus Brokus."

I'll be thinking of you both.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have learned (because I'm so old, you know) that in our attempts to save money, we almost never do. In fact, what might have been a fairly easy fix for the vet if attended to early, turns into an emergency, and that is never cheap. I say that with :hug: :pray: for her quick recovery. (Please don't think that's terse, it's hard to show emotion in a post).

I've been in your shoes, most everybody has at one point or another, I'll pray for a quick recovery for your mare, (and your bank account) hang in there, it'll surely get better! :hug:

10. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok well I dont have wonderful news for you guys..... They think she has a hole in her esophagus. Which they think is cause by the first vet... Yes I had to take her to 2 different vets because the first vet just wanted to euthinize her.... I am very upset at the moment, and am very scared. He charged me $300 to see her......I am already $400 in the hole... I am about to have a freakin breakdown! I am once again doing my drawings, I need all the help and donations possible. I will sell you the shirt off my back to help me out here! If you guys want anything drawn please dont hesitate to send it my way! I am only asking $50 per picture ( which is way cheaper than what I normally charge) but I need to do something, this is going to hurt bad if I dont get it fixed!! so if you can help please do, it is going to a good cause of helping keep this horse going. my email is [email protected] please email if you have any questions

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Rachels pictures are beautiful -- i have one already. I have been collecting personalized drawings of my goats and I am going to have her do one of Destiny :D

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    What does she need to have done to save? Does she need an operation?

13. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Hi all, I am sorry to say, but magic ( my mini horse) had to be put to sleep this morning. They did and x-ray and found wire in her throat, that is what cause the hole as well.... SO everyone with horses, or shoot goats too, please check your hay, you never know what is in it!! I know goat have a tendancy to eat stuff they shouldent but horses arent like that, if they pick up a foreign object they will spit it out, so the wire must have been hidden in the hay pretty good for her not to have noticed it. I feel just awful about this!

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Wow, I am so sorry for your loss! It must be so heartbreaking.

:hug:

15. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    So sorry for your loss. Shelly

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That is so sad- you have my sympathies for sure. You couldn't have done anything for her but what you did.
    It's been years since I've seen wire bales- wire having become so expensive. But I can remember cutting them with wire cutters and then, if the twist part broke loose, hunting around for it. But sometimes a stary piece of wire actually got baled in the hay itself. What a horrible accident for you. Although baling wire was useful for so much, I'm happy it's not used here anymore.
    Darn that first vet- he certainly did not do a good job for you.

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I am so sorry for your loss, I know how hard it can be sometimes :hug: :(

18. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I am sooo sorry.You need some :grouphug: 's right now.Just know that you did all you could and hat she is in a happy place now.Don't blame yourself as there is nothing you could have done.

19. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok all, so I went out and got new pencils and paper, I am only charging $50 for a drawing of your animal, I usually charge more than that, but I am desperate, so if you could please help me, we are in serious trouble and I dont know what to do. If you can afford to help it would be greatly apprecaited!!

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Rachel I am so sorry! :cry: I know how excited you were for her I really wish I could sit and cry with you :tears: