OMG the flies are horrible!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jaytori220, Jul 12, 2009.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I cant believe the flies here! We have been getting daily afternoon storms and I notice that the flies are the worst when there is wet hay around the hay feeder that had gotten wet. They are so bad they sound like mini racing bikes. What do you guys use around your property to control the flies?
    They dont really bother my goats. Just everything else.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I dust just about everything with seven and my goats are sprayed with a repellent spray, also, I hang flie tape in the barn and have previously used those "stinky bait" fly traps to control them.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't really know if there's much you can do to get rid of them. I would get some horse fly spray and put it on them each morning...that should keep the goats more confortable.

4. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I highly recommend Fly Predators by Spalding Labs. They are a natural control method by introducing parasatoids that eat fly larvae, and they do not harm or bother people or animals. They are AWESOME and really work! If you have a large infestation currently, it may take a couple monthly doses to get it under control( but you will notice an improvement almost immediately), but within a couple months you will have ZERO flies, and will be able to maintain that with monthly additions of your parasatoids. I like the completely natural aspect- no pesticides or chemicals. Cost depends on the extent of your infestation and the size of your herd. Once you get it controlled, it will become less expensive to keep it maintained. Cost me about $100/year, but to me it is completely worth it. I once had a simialr problem. I was worried the swarms would carry off by little does!! :help: ... Hope this helps!!

5. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
  6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I was wondering if those fly predators worked...I keep seeing commercials, but wasn't sure. That is great to hear they actually work....might just have to try them out! :thumb:

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    We hang fly strips from the ceiling of the barn. They seem to catch most of the flies, knats, wasps, and any other bugs. Just make sure if you use them that they are out of the way so goats won't chew them and out of your way so you don't get you're hair caught. ;) (not fun)

Good luck! :)

8. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    What do you use to spray on the goats as fly repellent? Is the stuff at tractor supply that is for horses or cows suitable?

9. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Thankfully, I don't have much of a fly problem but have you tried marigold spray?????

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I use a fly spray that I get for the horses. It is in a grey bottle and is I think Franam 7.... it worked AMAZING for them when we had nats so bad at the beginning of summer. In one day - all the animals (including the dogs) had bloody inside of their ears.... but with the spray - no problems. I tried a different spray first and it didn't work worth a darn.

It was about $20.00 a bottle - but sooooo worth it!

11. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    My aunt told me that they used to spread lime on the floor of the pens and then cover it with the bedding to keep the flies down. She said you have to be careful to cover it completely though as it is a skin irritant, but they never had much trouble, and it kills the larvae.

I haven't done this yet, but I may, because the flies are HORRIBLE.

12. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

I also have horses, so the goats get what the horses get too.

Fly Predators,
    Fly Sticky Paper,
    Fly Traps,
    Fly Spray,
    Equine Fly control stuff (i forget what its called but its like frontline for horses)
    umm garlic powder
    fly pesticides.

we use a lot to keep them away buy the biting flies are bad.

Anny

13. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I got two ducks -- they seem to be helping some!

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yeah we hang fly strips too. We also spread Diatamaceous Earth & tho we still have flies they arent as bad as they could be.
    One nice thing about LGD's is that flies are more attracted to thier poop.

15. We live with them. I use Synergize on the animals but in NWA they are in your house your work place, everywhere. :roll: :angry: :veryangry: :roll:

16. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Say Whaa?? You mean North Wa State? Or did I miss someting here?

ETA never mind, you meant NW Oklahoma :idea:

17. No I am in North West AR / North East OK.

I am on the line. LOL

18. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I can be slower than a fly on a hot muggy day :ROFL:

19. LOL your too funny. Around here though that is pretty fast even still. LOL :slapfloor: