On the topic of websites...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Jan 12, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Okay, so I am going to follow the theme here and ask for input on my website. I didn't use webs.com. I bought space, reserved a name, then used a template where I could change the background, text, graphics, etc to make it my own.

http://quakingcanopy.com

I'm still working on it, and I plan on changing the picture at the top on the homepage to something related to goats. The one up there was a default.

Questions, comments, advise, criticisms, compliments...

Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the only thing I noticed and not sure if it is ment to be this way is that when you click on the side bar where it says "nigerian dwarfs" it takes you to a different page then when you click on "nigerian dwarfs" on the top navigational link.

It works and I can see how the process goes just thought I would mention it if it wasnt suppose to be that way.

The welcome on the home page should be first and not anything else. Its kind of disjointed having the information about the soaps and products being before you even know where you are at.

Point size should stay relative to its need for attention. Like the welcome part is good big. but the reservation part might do better being a few point sizes smaller so that it isnt competing for attention.

Other then that the layout is good and information is easy to find.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    "She is also loyal and protective – she stays home without any restraints and warns us of unknown guests within out property." Did you mean OUR property? Other than that, I think it looks good :) Great work. :greengrin:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    also I noticed that when you click on a link to go outside your website it takes you directly there and doesnt open a new window -- I always like for people to have the option of staying on my site but explore other sites. It could be personal preference. I just would hate for someone to stop browsing my site because they were like "ooo another site" and then they never return because they loose the URL (sometimes they find us through other means then a direct link and if they dont click the back button you will never find the site easily again).

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Agreed. I wonder if my links pop out... Hmmm :chin:

6. pennylullabelle

Sterling - You're right, I did mean OUR!

Stacey - thanks for those pointers. What I did was put a welcome message in the top right hand corner. The welcome news post was just to get my first news post up there. I did alter my other post to make it blend more smoothly.

The links on the right hand side were meant to give the user a quick way to jump to the goats or page they want to see - seniors, bucks, etc. Without going through the main NG page and the information on them. It's listed in tiers, and what I think I will try to do is make the "Nigerian Dwarf Goats" on the right hand menu stationary - not a link. Then it might be less confusing.

The links are that way through the template I used. But perhaps I can change those...that's a great tip thanks!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no I like how when you click on the nigerian dwarf page on the right it gives you a quick snip of each goat and a picture etc. You dont see that on the other link "Nigerian Dwarf" top navigational link.

Maybe giving the right hand link a differnet name? like Our Herd or Nigerian Herd, that way it makes a distinction between the two pages? :?

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    One Nigi link takes you to Nigi Info. The other Nigi sidebar link takes you to Individual profiles.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can click a little box that says somethign about open link in new page - when you create links in freewebs :thumb:

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Mine pop out automatically, I already checked. lol

11. pennylullabelle

Okay, I like that idea much better! (Changing the name of the parent category link on the right hand side) I will certainly tweak that. Thanks! It will flow easier and be less confusing, an you still get the page with all the options of goats with thumbnails and such.

I am not using freewebs so that doesn't apply to me. When my boyfriend has a free minute I'll ask him to help me with that one. He's the true webmaster, just run the pages and edit the posts and such.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok my post was suppose to be in response to this post:

And it seems you have it already figured out
    sorry for that confusion :doh:

13. pennylullabelle

lol That's okay. I read it and was like "she definitely meant to quote the other message..."

*gets dizzy following Stacey from post to post replying" hahaha :dazed:

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  15. pennylullabelle

I just put lots of new pictures up, for anyone who wants to look at goatie pics! And I might add...it's hard to take nice pictures of friendly goats! They all just want to sniff my camera and dig in my pockets and demand shoulder scratches. Darn buggers wouldn't hold still! :devilish: :laugh:

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Just looked at Isis' information (so hard to think of her as Isis now, got so used to calling her Iris :p ) Anyways, did you mean to write that her shoulders are tight but withers need to be sharper? That was her problem in the shoulder/wither area. She has nice tight shoulders but her withers need to be sharper - unless it magically changed recently. :wink:

17. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    The only thing I didn't find was your location, did I miss it?? :D

18. pennylullabelle

Olivia - thanks for catching that! I feel like a dork. I reversed it :doh: It should have read she has only semi sharp withers, but good tight shoulders/withers...*going to go fix it now*

Lawanda - You're right! Man, the silly things I forget...thanks!