once a day milking?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by mlktrkdrvr, Jun 27, 2014.

1. mlktrkdrvr

mlktrkdrvr New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    I read an article on a facebook page the other day about milking just once a day. It basically said that you usually get 70 -80 % of the twice a day milking with only half the time involved, and also that it did not increase the mastitis rates once the udder had acclimated to the OAD milking. I am wondering if anyone out there milks only once a day (not kid sharing or calf sharing) and what your results have been. I do not want my goats or cow to dry up, but also have more milk than time most days. Otherwise we are going to have to get 2 more bucket calves to calf share with. Thank you

2. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    We only milk once a day. Kids get to nurse....if there is anything extra, we milk or separate during the day (when we can KEEP them separated). After weaning we still milk once a day. Never had a problem with mastitis *knock on wood* and Moon, my ND gave a quart last night. We didn't milk her at all until we weaned her trips.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    many do once a day milking...how ever you need to move into it slowly..allow the goat to regulate the milk she makes...you may need to cut back on feed to help her cut back on milk production..

4. mlktrkdrvr

mlktrkdrvr New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    I think this is something that we may want to go to after school starts back up. Evening milking always seems to be the same time as little boy bed times. So how would I go about moving it back slowly?

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    here is how I would do it..there might be a better way..but I would want to go slow to reduce stress..

I would choose the hour of day most convenient to me...make that my main milking time...then milk less from moms on my second milking..Also reduce feed...

If I want to milk, lets say...9 am....then that is my main milking time..I will milk mom all the way out...then at say 7 pm I will go out and milk about half +/- out of her..after a few days..take even less at night..leaving her udder comfy...then once I go out and her udder is loose without me milking...stop night milkings...check every day to be sure its not too tight....milk to lossen as needed...I know many will just stop milking and mom will reduce naturally but I rather go slow..

6. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I milk once a day as long as I have the kids on. I don't like weaning and I enjoy once a day milking, so it works for me.

I milk twice a day if I sell the kids.

7. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

I decided to milk her in the evening...so I just stop milking in the morning. Couple people told me to go slow but a few other told not to. The first few days it was hard but I stuck to once a day. She adjusted fine. She didn't have any kids on her either.

8. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    My kinders I milk once a day in the evening. I could get away with once a day for my Nubian, but my Bella, she's a gallon a day... I usually milk at 5am and then again around 7:30 PM, and boy oh boy she is uncomfortable by that time..., so I won't be able to switch her, and my Nubian gives a quart so that isn't bad.

9. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

Brat gave me over a gallon a day when I was milking her twice a day. The first few days she was uncomfortable but she adjusted fine. Now, milking once a day, I get about 90 oz of milk from her. That's about 3/4 of a gallon.

10. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    You will always get less when milking once a day, FYI...

11. melzhippy

melzhippy Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Amish Country, NY
    I milk once per day (in the morning) just because I lack time! My 2 ladies each had a kid in the spring and the kids have been at their new home for about 2 months now... I get 1/2 gal. per day from my 2 girls. They are mini alpine/nigerian dwarf mix.

12. GoatieGranny

GoatieGranny Member

Jul 26, 2013
    We also milk once a day. 8 a.m. Works great for us.

Let us know how it goes for you. :)

13. rebelINny

rebelINny Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I milk once a day for my Nubian cause she can handle her whole half gallon and then some for that long. My mini-alpine doe i have to milk twice because she is busting the seams with a quart and 1/4 both times.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum