Once a day?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by billmac, Oct 6, 2008.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Maybe a crazy question. Can dairy goats be conditioned to be milked once a day, or is twice a day imperative? Supposing that I'm not interested in maximizing milk production.

I'm talking about right out of the gate, not reconditioning goats already used to being milked twice a day. I don't have any goats yet.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is possible though with a doe newly freshened it wouldn't be wise as she will be very engorged and you do risk mastitis, a start of 2x a day after kids are weaned at 7-8 weeks would be good, then drop to 1x a day after 12 weeks fresh.....though each doe and breed is very different.

BTW....Welcome :wave:

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i've only ever milked once a day and i've never had a problem with mastitis. the only time i had mastitis was when i was drying up a doe. and that was very odd

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can milk once a day --- but if you dont ahve kids on her in those first few weeks with a standard dairy doe you will WANT and NEED to milk her twice a day. Their bodies just produce so much they can get sick if not milked often enough.

After a couple weeks you can go down to once a day milking.

With some of the minis you need to milk twice a day as well. It really depends on how good of a milker your doe is.

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Stacy did you mean that if it is mini you have to milk twice a day even if kids on her?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no I mean if you pull kids and bottle feed you will need to milk twice a day from the get go

7. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We always milk our does twice a day after they have weaned their kids though but if we're trying to dry them off we'll go to milking once a day though until they aren't giving anymore milk but we only squirt 20 squirts from each teat when we're drying them off.