Once dry, stay dry?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Logan, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Logan

Logan New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Hi there,

I am wondering about drying off my doe. I've read about how to do it, but my real question is about whether once dry do they stay dry. I will be moving out of the country in a few months and my parents have a hard time milking her, so I need her to be dry by the time I leave and to stay dry. Since she is our only goat, there is no chance that she will be bred again, so that is not a problem. Her production has already started to naturally decrease with the onset of colder weather, I just don't want her to start up again in spring.

Any advice or knowledge will be greatly appreciated!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Once she's dried off completely she should stay that way. Unless she's a prolific milker and ends up with a "precocious" udder....meaning that she could fill without being bred again.

Start by milking once a day, decreasing her grain too...then after a week, milk every other day....after a week of limited milking and decreased grain, you can completely cut her grain and only milk if she really needs to have relief. Keep an eye out for a hot hard udder as this would indicate a problem but most does dry off with no issues. Good Luck.

3. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I have a question... Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it got me curious...

My Doe was drying herself off in August, so I slowly stopped milking her after it got to where she was only producing a cup a day.

When we got her she was with a buck, so if she's pregnant, she's due next month.

My question is, her bag never did shrink back to nothing, do does who have developed a bag, ever lose that? Or is this just a sign of pregnancy? Or what?? I got another one that has had her babies weaned for 2 months now that still has a small bag, but she wasn't with a buck until just last month, so the bag shouldn't really be there... well my guess :p

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most freshened does will still have a pouch, especially if they've freshened more than once. The udder skin tends to lose it's elasticity with each fill and dry up.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...they do stretch....each freshening..... :wink:

when dried... it will look hangy... but yet ...real empty..... no volume.... :wink:

Sometimes... it takes them longer... than 2 months to dry up....if they are real good milkers.... If they are kept on high quality feed and grain....it will be longer to dry them off....you have to go to a less quality feed and stop the grain...if you don't want her to continue in milk....now if ...you want to keep her in milk... you have to feed her well and grain her.... with milking her.... each day.... :thumb: