The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is going to let me use his one acre fenced in pasture and barn. It has electricity...I would have to fix the fencing. What animals should I put on it. I would only be able to get out there once a day. So if I got chickens I would have to get a door with a timer on it to shut on its own at night and open in morning.

Let me know your thoughts.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
The timer door may not be a good idea ... just because I know some chickens are clueless and will forget the right time, may get shut out at night.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I don't think I would want chickens somewhere that I had to drive to. I would think a horse or cow or maybe a few sheep would be better for some place that you are only going to visit once a day.

·
Registered
279 Posts
What kind of predators do you have in the area?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
If you go with cow, get 2. If they hear or smell a cow they will be gone. If your wanting to make money get something small that can grow to be big. When I first started with goats I would get very thin goats from the sale, get them fat and resell. I made more money that way, but you want to look them over very very well if you go that way. The only time I lost money doing the resell was when I did not go out and check the animal out 100% before buying.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My only problem with meat animals is that I get attached and wouldnt be able to kill it. Is there any way around this? I was thinking maybe get two cows of some sort (and yes by cow i mean female) and just sell the offspring. Or i was thinking a few boar does an do the same thing.

Also, what are your opinions on rabbits? I could keep them in the barn. Is this profitable? Once again...just breeding not killing my own livestock.

If I got sheep, should I do wool since I am not really into butchering my animals? What kind of fencing do sheep require?

Ive thought about pigs before. Do they stay inside electric wire fencing? Could I get a few sows and sell the offspring? What about mini pigs or pit belly pigs? I could sell their offspring?

Im okay with thinking exotic animals too. Ive thought about wallabies but I dont think that would be good right now because of the period of time I am keeping these animals is just going to be for about 3 years.

Ive thought about llamas and alpacas but the prices for them are kind of stupid.
What are your opinions? Im willing to look into anything!

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
It is extremely hard to make a profit on animals if you aren't selling them for butcher. I made a profit on alpacas but I bred my alpacas and sold the offspring and also offered birthing and critical care services to other breeders. I spent 24/7 on alpacas to make that profit. You have to put a lot of work into animals to make a profit. I wouldn't bother doing it if you are wanting to make a profit. Small time farming (which is considered hobby farming) is not profitable.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Good luck with that too. Fiber just doesn't sell for enough money. I just wouldn't trust driving somewhere to take care of rabbits or chickens because they seem to get sick so easy or extremely easy as prey.

It also takes 2-3 years to figure out where the market is for animals and how to sell them. There truly is a lot more to it than you think. I'm not trying to be snide or mean. I have been there and done that and made a profit. But it was a lot more work than I would have ever imagined. The first 4 years in the alpaca business were not profitable. It was the last 10 that were. The first 4 years were building the business and doing one heck of a lot of marketing to build up that profitable business. Then I still had to do a lot of marketing to keep that profit going and continue to get new customers.

You would probably be better off doing something like pigs that you would offer for butcher and you take them to the butcher and the people just pick up the cuts of meat. I know people have made a profit on that and also put meat in their freezer and they only do 3 or 4 pigs at a time. Plus they would be gone in the winter so you wouldn't have to worry about winter care.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i think you have to take some time and do a lot of research on what is profitable in your area, especially if you're thinking of only selling live animals, and figure out which distribution channel would make the most sense to you.

e.g. you don't want to decide to go into farrowing business and then find out after there aren't any farms that are willing to pay $xx for the piglets, which point you'll have to sell them for a loss or end up keeping all the piglets, and may have to send them to the butcher....

As the saying goes "there are many ways to skin a cat".....

good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I agree doing home work first is a good idea...one acre is not alot if you dont want to feed them..if you can feed them then consider Barbado sheep...they are easy keepers, dont challenge fence lines..worm resistant..Hay loose mineral and water is their needs...Mine dont even need hoof trimming as often as my Dorper sheep or Goats..when doing a worm check..my Barbado rarely need worming where my Dorpers always need wormer lol..they are smaller and Rams can be a bit more to handle with large horns..but the offspring sell well...but again..they are meat sheep : )

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
One acre is not enought to keep two cows on without feeding a lot of hay/feed. They will turn that acre into a dry lot in no time. Not a good way to make money if you want to breed them and sell offspring. Also, start up cost for cattle is much higher than other livestock. You can get a good meat heifer for 1000 but if she's already bred, more like 1500. If you buy one not bred, you'll need to borrow someone's bull or have them AI'd. You will also need a stock trailer to transport them. If your set on raising cattle, I would get cheap dairy bull calves (in my area they go for 50 to 200 depending on how old they are), bottle raise them, and sale once they reach a weight you can make a profit on. You'll need to figure out what the best sale weight is for you and your area. But doing this means getting attached and then selling for meat, so you may not want to go that way. Few things are cuter than newborn dairy calves. You'd also need to visit more than once a day, something you don't want to do.

It's very hard to turn a profit on pigs unless you have a cheap source of feed avaliable. A family friend use to have a dairy and would feed the waste milk to the pigs. This saved them big on the feed bill. They turn a preaty good profit on them that way.

I don't know enough about raising goats for profit, so I'd leave that for someone else.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think depending on your location pigs would be a great way to go. They are extremely smart and can be trained to stay in a one wire electric fence. A gilt piglet can reproduce herself 10 times over in the first year (assuming a litter or 10) and have two litters a year after that. Pigs are easy to AI and you need no special equipment to do so. Sell your piglets as isoweans at 4 to 5 weeks and start over. Checking and feeding pigs once a day is all that would be needed if you can have a heated waterer in the winter. Sows are very protective of their piglets so after your get the initial gilts to a good size you don't need to worry about predators

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I agree about the cows...lots of up front money...long waiting period to calf..
Standard Pigs eat ALOT!!!!
any animal will need quality feeds..some smaller animals will need protection..
You could do a pick it yourself garden : ) plant seasonal set up a cute shed to collect fees why folks collect produce...best of all..no feed bill : ) the only preditors you need to worry about are bunnies :D
lots to decide here but wow...lots of good info too...Im sure you will find the best solution to get the most out of you 1 acre lot : )

·
Registered
279 Posts
Back to my first question. What kind of predators do you have? If you have large predators, you have to be able to protect them by locking them up at night or have large dogs or other guardians to protect them. If you only go once a day, you need to think about how you are going to protect them...whatever they will be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts