The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed one of my dairy goats munching on the the fur of another dairy goat who was just sitting there letting her do it. It was almost like she was just munching some leaves off of a tree or something...same thing. She would get a mouthful and yank like she was trying to yank a few leave off of a tree. I couldn't see how much fur she was getting. I don't think a lot, but still. She only did it for about 10-12 seconds, but doesn't that seem weird? Could it be a nutritional deficiency of some sort that would make them want to do that? I give them 24/7 access to alfalfa pellets, hay, and minerals, and they get as much grain as they want on the milk stand. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
does she do it all the time or is this the first time you seen it? Any bald patches on the goats that would indicate shes been at it awhile? if not then perhaps the one goat had something on her fur that taste good..

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cathy, it's the first time I've seen it. I have noticed just a couple very small almost bare spots on one other goat and on the goat who was chewing on another goat. Perhaps this could account for it? I'll have to take a look at the goat who was chewing on the other goat and see where the thin spot is on her again to see if it is in a spot where she could be chewing on herself? Sounds kinda freaky. But like I said, it's the first time I've seen it anyway.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Goats can be strange some times lol...I have seen them go after the ears when mad and very once in a while when real mad they will bite another..but not to stand and chew on the hair...if she is chewing on herself, look closely for lice or mites..small flies irritate and can lay eggs.. it wont account for why she is biting the hair off another..but I would have a good look just the same to be sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts