The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably two different problems. I noticed a few days ago that my doe, Prim, frequently has pushed up fur on her rump like she has just itched her self. I've looked through her fur a few times, but could see nothing that would indicate anything. I have been putting Nu Stock on her tail for an unrelated problem, but I can't say it didn't start before that.

Now onto the more strange one. I was cleaning out the chips in my bedding box, as I do everyday, and I noticed some wet spots in the chips were green. I am pretty sure that all the wet spots were in fact green. Their diet is mostly dried leaves that have fallen from the trees and fescue hay. I did reduce their grain mix recently as well. They are getting a 1/4 cup of Blue seal Caprine Challenger and a 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellets plus two tablespoons of BOSS (I am trying to get them down to as little to no grain as possible) What could be causing this and should I be concerned?

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
I had wood chips turn orange and freak me out. It is probably just a chemical reaction between urine and the chips. Unless your goats seem otherwise off, I wouldn't worry about that at all.

The biting might indicate mites...

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How would I know if it is mites? Is it unreasonable to expect only one of my does to have them when they sleep right next to each other?

It's good to know about the green pee. I find it odd that it just started happening, I haven't switched brands of chips and it didn't use to happen. Maybe something in the wood is different or something they are eating is causing them to react. I'm glad it isn't a concern though.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
In horses, bedding can turn bright red from a chemical reaction with the urine. It’s quite likely that’s where the green came from.

As for the mites, check for lice first, use a flashlight and go under the fur down to the skin and see if any teeny little bugs are present.

If there aren’t any scabs anywhere, it’s probably lice, not mites.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts