One for the record books

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sparks879, Feb 1, 2009.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Had an interesting kidding last night. A good friend of mine has a large herd of nubians. I was over there last thursday to play with babies. She told me Layla was over due by two days. Layla is a huge black doe who had quads her first three years. has had to have help before. Last year she kidded with a single (surprise) 14 lb buck kid. She was huge again this year. I get called a lot to assist with goats around here because i have smaller hands and have an eaiser time manipulating stuck kids. Anyways i knew i was on the emergency contact for layla. Vicky had to go over to town yesturday to teacha cheese class so her husband was by himself. I called at lunch to see how layla was but got no answer. Sure enough about an hour after i got home from work i get a call from Vicky....Can you go over and help Tom? Layla is in in labor and having troubles. So i drop the cleaning of the bathroom, and run over there she is only about ten minutes away. By the time i get there Tom has the first two kids out a buck and a doe pretty good sized kids. He said the buck was tail first. Pretty soon she starts straining again and nothing happens. Tom goes in after kid number three. Tries for a couple minutes without success.....So he asks me to give it a go. I go in and feel a butt and a head. So here im thinking there is two more kids here. I finally get one back leg in the right position and pull out kid number three. you wouldnt believe the size of this boy. I went in again thinking theres another kid and feel nothing. Kid number three was it. So that means he was folded in half with his tail and his nose pointed at the birth canal. I have never had a kid in that position before. Hos nose was up by is hocks with both back legs pointed in towards moms front end.
    So all week we had been joking how layla was carrying the entire first string from the hawks football team. We were close:
    Kid number one (buck) 7.5 lbs
    kid number two (doe) 7.25 lbs
    kid number three (buck) 8.5 lbs
    over twenty lbs just in kids I cant even begin to imagine how mom was feeling.
    Im happy to report that mom and babies are doing well this evening!
    beth

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh my - I am so glad that I was NOT that momma!!! Great job!

3. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Hevens!! That is alot of baby!!
    Good job, you, goatie dad and Mom!!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Wat to go Beth! :clap: Wow folded in half? Any ideas what could have caused it?
    Good job !!

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have no idea how he got that way. He was the biggest of the three. and im guessing the other two were over the top of him. never had any in the position before. I have repositioned tail first head back one leg back back first upside down two coming at once but never this one. Of course i couldnt see what position he was in but it took me a few minutes to figure him out. But when i was feeling a nose and a tail at the same time i could of sworn there were two kids in there.
    beth

7. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Wow!! Some delivery, and that is so many pounds for one goat!!! :greengrin:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats really cool, so glad it has a happy ending and wow what big kids

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    My gosh, that mother must be happy to have those kids out! Glad it went well and you have those big beautiful kids!

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    good job =] that's ALMOST the total birthweight of Will's 3, which made up 24.5lb between the 3 of them... bwaahhhh does that mean I still hold the record? :greengrin: