Featured one goat un-related to herd

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Darby77, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi all,

Just a quick question. I have 5 goats, 2 moms with their 8month old kids and one goat who is unrelated to the herd. Someone who breeds told me I should get another goat so I don't have just the one who is unrelated to the rest so that she isn't "left out". She does tend to separate herself from the rest of the group when they are playing. I was just wondering what you all think?

Oreosmom likes this.
  2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    If they aren't bullying her then she should be fine. But this sounds like a great excuse for another goat ;)

3. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    That is great excuse to get another goat, LOL!

All kidding aside, I don't think you truly need to get another goat to be her friend.
    I had a Nubian doe, Matilda, that I got in late May along with her buckling. She was the loner in our herd too until we got another Nubian doe & doeling pair - Matilda and Vivian became great friends and I think it has helped Matilda some. I always feel sad for the goat that is "left out", but some do just fine that way. You will have to assess your situation and go from there. :)

4. kathy_

kathy_ Member

Mar 10, 2017
    She may not bond with another goat you get. I started out with three, 2 Nubians and a Sannen well then two Nubians was thick a thieves and my Sannen looked so dejected so I talk my husband into getting him a buddy. We didn't get just one we got two. Brought them home those two stuck together and my other two hung together and my Sannen still stays by himself. My first ones were bottle babies and my Sannen was just a few days old and he became my baby. If he is with my husband or myself he is happy. He kisses on us and talks to us rides around with us in the golf cart. He is almost human IMG_0589.JPG

Nigerian dwarf goat and Oreosmom like this.
  5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    @kathy_

He is lovely. Is he a buckling or a wetherling?

The issue might have arisen because you brought home 2, not 1. You brought home an already connected pair. No, they did not have to be friends in the original herd. But once they were in strange environs....

Better "the devil you know...."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Oreosmom and Goat_Scout like this.
  6. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Some excuses are better than other excuses. But all excuses are sufficient excuses.... yes?

LOL

Oreosmom, Goat_Scout, kathy_ and 2 others like this.
  7. Darby77

Darby77 Member

Apr 23, 2016
    I had my boer originally, still a baby bc my adult nubian passed. I got two Saanens and they were all buddies until the two saanens had the kids (I wasn't aware they were bred). One of the kids tries to be pals with the boer but then her mom gets involved. It's goat insanity out there.

Oreosmom and mariarose like this.
  8. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    If only Goat Psychiatrist was an actual paid position...

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You can choose one docile goat and put those 2 in a pen together for about a 2 weeks, they should bond, then you can reintroduce them back in with the others. She should have a buddy that way.
    Of course there will be pecking order again.

Oreosmom, Goat_Scout and mariarose like this.
  10. kathy_

kathy_ Member

Mar 10, 2017
    He is a wetherling. All five of mine are wethers. The last two I got wasn't a connected pair but they were both Nubians, now I've got to get another Sannen. LOL

11. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Hugs, BUT... there is an actual slippery slope my friend. It generally starts with "...I've got to get another...."

"Danger, Will Robinson. Danger"

I loved your story of him riding in the golf cart.

12. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    This is what I do, and it works really well. Thank you.

Oreosmom, Darby77 and toth boer goats like this.
  13. I just went through this same situation. Went and bought her sister yesterday.

14. Oreosmom

Oreosmom mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    She looks like a white dear there grazing..very pretty. Get her her own buddy.

15. cathy page

cathy page New Member

Thursday
    getting a new goat will only give you another bottom of pecking order(unless you just want a new baby), your odd girl out may always be shy of others, she will be ok