one sided doe way to hard to milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Shelly Borg, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Ok while worried about how to feed all my kids yesterday I found out about a doe who had had her kids pulled a couple days ago and was not being milked or worked with at all. She had had mastitise last year and only one udder had filled. I started to worry about her and got ahold of the owner who was happy to send her to my house to be milked.
    She was rock solid and I could not get much at all out of her. I got ahold of the person who had her kids and they brought them over today in hope to have them help milk her soft again. They are in my barn now and she was more then happy to feed them.
    Now is there a chance I could get the other side working? How long should I let the kids feed? The owner wants them bottle feed but I can keep them over night.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    give her hot compresses and really massage that udder -- and milk it -- you will need to do this more then one or twice. I had a doe with a congested udder and I had to go out every 2 hours and put on warm compresses

3. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Ok I have gotten about 1/4 of the udder soft again. I have been doing massage and milking about 5x a day. After reading some I gave her some vit c and am using vapor rub and heat compresses.
    How long can this take before I get it back? My hands hurt!!!! :)

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Unfortunatly it CAN take up to several months.