The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting two new does from a breeder... They move in with us in a few weeks. They also have a buck that I have completely fallen in love with. He's beautiful and so sweet. We hadn't even considered getting a buck but a few different factors are having me think about it now (we only have 2 does to take to the breeder this year but next year we will have 4.. it would be easier to have a buck at that point, etc). Anyways, the buck I like has folded ears. They tried to straighten them by taping in cardboard but it didn't work. They say it shouldn't show up in his kids because it's not genetic, but I just want to make sure. He is so cute folded ears and all.

·
14,615 Posts
Folded vertically or horozontally?
I had one doe with a vertical fold. She never did throw one herself.
Several generations later distant cousin had vertical folded. That dam had different sire & different sires in the lines.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I think I would pick a different buck, or wait for one next year. It's possible it is genetic, but also possible it is not. I don't see very many Nubians with the folded ears, and as a buck you would definitely not want anything that may have a genetic flaw as he is going to be a big influence in your herd. Also, Nubians should have pendulous ears, the way the ear is folded can it ethically be called "pendulous"?

·
14,615 Posts
Let me say this. And Im no expert at genetics.
There will always be flaws that show up it's the roll of the dice so to speak.
Sooner or later there will be unwanted shortcomings.
Once or twice in a few years of breeding is not a big deal. It's when you have glaring faults in more than a few you need to rethink.
You start with the very best you can afford. Even with the best, problems occur.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
According to what I've read, if the ears are folded below where they join the head, it's a quirk that happened in utero. If they are folded where the ears join the head, it's not a quirk, may be genetic, and can cause problems because the ear canal is left vulnerable to dirt, debris, etc. You might want to google 'Tube Ears' before you decide to purchase this buck.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
I had a doe that kidded trips. One with cluster teats, one with one vertically folded ear, one with two fold ears. That doe and her kids went to the sale barn....It's a disqual for ABGA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts