The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is getting out of the faming business/life due to Cancer in her hubby and other family health and obligation issues. She gave me her 2 favorite registered Lamancha's. They have been out on 400+ acres this past year with no personal care due to her being at the hospital this year.

On a normal basis the wind is always 10+mph, average is 25-30+ with gust up to and over 50+ a norm. To have a day with no to lil wind is rare. While they are both a good weight and health, there coats are rough and needs a desperate brushing. One of the girls had crusties around her ear and I rubbed it off and she thoroughly enjoyed it, however she now has a greenish yellow thick like snot discharge out of it. Its pretty heavy flo. What should I do for her. Does she need antibiotics or ?
Thanks in advance:shades:

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I agree, i would also say cooper for the rough coat. I would do a fecal float on them before you give any dewormer and see if you even need to but it sounds like you might need to.

· Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No vets that work with goats available unless I want to take them out of state or out of town which in this weather means crossing dangerous mountain passes that are very deadly.....So not an option.

So what can "I" do at this point?

· Super Moderator
36,683 Posts
I agree with copper and selenium vit. e gel,
for the goats ear...sometimes that trapped waxed can get pretty gross...if you fear its infected, use penicillin ..1 cc per 20# twice daily for 5 days...be sure to go Sub Q and pull back on the plunger before injecting...no blood means good to go...if you see blood re adjust and try again..

if you have to shoot in the dark wormer wise...use ivomec plus or valbazen ( not for pregnant does) this covers a large number of worms...check poop for tape, if you see tape valbazen will be needed 3 days in a row..

valbazen is 1cc per 10# orally
Iv. Plus is 1 cc per 40 # sub Q ..if you want to go oral, 1 cc per 30# but please do first treatment sub Q for a slower kill whichis safer for a heavy load, with them not being wormed in a year, I would treat as heavy loaded..
3 times 10 days apart then once again in 30 days...

best wishes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.