The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an eight year old doe that has been having breathing (open mouthed) with her sides sunken in like when they are dehydrated or struggling with breathing, and chewing issues though I think those are related.
Anyway I had her checked by my vet and a preliminary exam though was pneumonia. She has been treated with Exceed and Excenell together then Exceed and Genemiacin (sp?). Along with doses of Start up and several vitamins (Thiamine, B complex, B12,etc), and lastly Nuflor, over the last four weeks. Last week I tried a five day Dexamethasone round that seems to have helped, but only a bit. She continues to breath with her mouth open though her tongue is not out as much. She continues to be sunken in on her sides and open mouthed though post the Dex she at least doesn't have her tongue out. She shows leaves and like alfalfa too much and doesn't eat them like normal. I think at this point I may actually be dealing with more of a COPD type issue. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What doses and frequency was antibiotics given? Was she checked for anything going on in her mouth like sticker or bad teeth? Anything lodged in her Throat?
How do her eyes look? Not twitching, unfocused? Any head tilting or circling?
If she were mine I would do listeriosis treatment which is dexamethsone once a day, 1 cc per 20 pounds IM, penicillin, 1 cc per 10 pounds sub q, every 6 hours and thiamine, 500 mg worth every 6 hours. So if thiamine strength is 500mg then once cc..if you have 250mg strength then 2 cc every 6 hours. Sub q.
With the antibiotics, vitamines and dex she had already seemed to do some better....doing every 6 hours on a 24 hour clock should help. Dex only once a day for 5 more days then we ween her down over another week's time. We will decrease her dose by 1/2cc daily until done.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have an eight year old doe that has been having breathing (open mouthed) with her sides sunken in like when they are dehydrated or struggling with breathing, and chewing issues though I think those are related.
Anyway I had her checked by my vet and a preliminary exam though was pneumonia. She has been treated with Exceed and Excenell together then Exceed and Genemiacin (sp?). Along with doses of Start up and several vitamins (Thiamine, B complex, B12,etc), and lastly Nuflor, over the last four weeks. Last week I tried a five day Dexamethasone round that seems to have helped, but only a bit. She continues to breath with her mouth open though her tongue is not out as much. She continues to be sunken in on her sides and open mouthed though post the Dex she at least doesn't have her tongue out. She shows leaves and like alfalfa too much and doesn't eat them like normal. I think at this point I may actually be dealing with more of a COPD type issue. Any ideas?
Hey! Welcome to TGS!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, thank you for your reply. I don't think it's listeriosis I've seen that before. As to the antibiotics when this started a month ago she got a dose of la 300 on a Tuesday. Then on Saturday she choked and collapsed wow eating and I took her to the vet and had her checked she treated her for pneumonia. Giving her exceed and XML at the same time. 4 days later she received another dose of exceed. Then after the appropriate number days she got exceed and Gen.,. Then I think that's when I gave her the new floor after 5 days. I don't think it's bacterial. Then she got the five days of 4321 and a half dexamethasone. That seemed to help a little bit but not totally. She continues to open mouth breathe and be sucked in though not as badly. She continues to not eat like normal she does okay with the beat pulp and rain but anything like tree leaves or Alfalfa's stems she chews a bunch but doesn't really eat much of it seems to be having trouble. I think the vet checked her teeth, but I am leaning towards either but someone suggested that she has something caught in her throat Or she's got a long-term hard lung issue. Given the fact that I'm feeling this a month I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hello, thank you for your reply. I don't think it's listeriosis I've seen that before. As to the antibiotics when this started a month ago she got a dose of la 300 on a Tuesday. Then on Saturday she choked and collapsed wow eating and I took her to the vet and had her checked she treated her for pneumonia. Giving her exceed and XML at the same time. 4 days later she received another dose of exceed. Then after the appropriate number days she got exceed and Gen.,. Then I think that's when I gave her the new floor after 5 days. I don't think it's bacterial. Then she got the five days of 4321 and a half dexamethasone. That seemed to help a little bit but not totally. She continues to open mouth breathe and be sucked in though not as badly. She continues to not eat like normal she does okay with the beat pulp and rain but anything like tree leaves or Alfalfa's stems she chews a bunch but doesn't really eat much of it seems to be having trouble. I think the vet checked her teeth, but I am leaning towards either but someone suggested that she has something caught in her throat Or she's got a long-term hard lung issue. Given the fact that I'm feeling this a month I'm not sure.
Would it be possible to x-ray her throat and chest area to see if there's an obstruction in there?

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
While listeriosis seems unlikely by the time frame...she has had alot of treatment that would have addressed it or at least kept it under control but not quite get rid of it. Treatment needs to be done every 6 hours and dex once a day if listeriosis.
Definitely an x ray down her throat an chest would be great. If she has a sticker ledged down in the throat, can fester and become infected. I have seen where fox tail have caused similar issues. The goat had to be sedated to remove them. .

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am hoping to get her throat checked soon. I am surprised by the thought of Listeria since I have not seen the more classic circling or head tilt and I have not seen it present in either case I have had with breathing issues that would make a vet think of pneumonia. What makes you think of it? Does it have to do with the odd chewing issue, and the more lathargic behavior?

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
I had a young doe with what I believe was listeriosis who responded to treatment. I didn't start treatment right away because symptoms didn't follow the rules..I did have her on thiamine. She didn't circle but her tongue hung out and she did a chewing like motion. Her eyes were a but focused as well. I decided to treat for listerioss any way. A week or so after her treatment was complete and she seemed back to normal, she started having seizures and got bad enough we elected euthanasia. I always wondered if I waited too long to treat.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had two very different cases, and I did the every six hours. At this point I can try every six hours with penicillin. It can't hurt. I have never had a mature doe get it. I had a lot of trouble with one because I hesitated since the vet said it might be heat stroke on a young one. After 12hours I went with my gut. She took longer to recover and carried her head at an angle for more about six months. To this day sometimes she will cauck her head and look at you and I see it. I am sorry you lost yours. My friend finally convinced me after that case to follow my gut especially if the treatment won't hurt if I am wrong, but can be really bad if I don't. She said you know your goats best.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
I 100% agree with your friend. We here in the forum are a collective group of amazing knowledge and experience but in the end you do know them best and should trust your gut. And you're right, treatment won't hurt if she ends up not needing it..

Best wishes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts