The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This straw if for sale and is the only thing I can find near me. It is listed for $1 and it was said to get rained on but then covered up. I'm new to this so I'm not sure how this straw looks as I want to use it as bedding for my new goats. Not sure about mold. She said she used it for her horse. Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
That's a great price, but if it got rained on it may not be any good. I use straw bedding all the time, but I make sure it smells sweet or I won't buy it. If it looks grayish, is clumped together, smells musty, and poofs out stinky gray dust when you shake it, then it's no good for bedding. Also feel how heavy the bales are. Straw should be lightweight so it can absorb moisture. If it's heavy, that means it's no longer absorbent. Sometimes only part of a bale is moldy and if you get a good deal then it might be worthwhile to buy it and just use the part that's still good. A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself if you wouldn't mind sleeping on it. Fresh, clean straw almost invites you to lie down and take a nap in it. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts