The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know that some people wean there goats by separating the mother and kids. I know others just let there goats have the mother naturally get weaned. What do you do? Curious what others do...

·
14,615 Posts
Since we're not milking per se, I let dams wean. Sometimes they just dont. If a doeling gets to be 6 mos old & still sucking I just take either the dam or the kid to a show for a few days.
Are you speaking of Boers?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
we raise dairy...we allow moms to ween does...we pull bucks between 2 1/2 -3 months dependigon how frisky they are..;)..we do put baby away at night when 2 weeks old and milk mom in the Am..she has baby the rest of the day.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
we raise dairy...we allow moms to ween does...we pull bucks between 2 1/2 -3 months dependigon how frisky they are..;)..we do put baby away at night when 2 weeks old and milk mom in the Am..she has baby the rest of the day.
Does this give you a good amount of milk in the evening milking? How long is typical for mom to allow nursing?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
For 20 years we have taken kids away from moms 3-4 months old. Kids do not need milk after this time. Not to mention older kids can damage an udder from hitting it to hard to make the milk let down and or cut it with their teeth. 90% of the time, the dams are like HELL YA! And even when their kids are let back in with em after a few days apart, they dont want to keep feeding em. Once the get over the "OH MY BABY IS GONE" they are soooo happy not to have to feed em any more.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I never allow dams to wean their kids. I wean bucklings/wethers at 3 months, and doelings at 3-4 months depending on their size. Once the kids have reached 3 months old they are eating hay and grain (if you feed grain) consistently, their rumens are fully functional, they are chewing cud, and they no longer need milk. All nursing does is allow the kids to drag down the dams, put further stress on their udders, and increase my costs of getting the does back in condition. Probably sounds cold-hearted, but there is no reason that I can see for allowing a kid to nurse beyond 3-4 months of age. I also do not have the time, patience, inclination, or pens to separate kids at night, so I simply wean cold turkey. I do not pull all kids at once. In the case of triplets of 2 bucks and a doe, the biggest buck is pulled at 3 months, the other buck a week later, then the doe either a week later or at 4 months. That gives Mom a chance to decrease milk production and dry up easier.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I am one that allows the dams to wean. :) I breed in November, they kid in April. If a home is lined up, what kids that are going to be sold are sold at 8 to 10 weeks. The rest of them, usually wethers, are left on momma. If I have a problem where they're not going to let momma dry, I can always have them camp next door and share the chicken area. I let mommas be dry for at least 2 months before kidding. By that time, they have new kids to worry about. :)

This is what works for me personally, it wouldn't work for everyone. I'm one who prefers milking once a day. Right now I have Bee nursing the two wethers left over from her quads. They will be allowed with momma until they are sold and harvested. I just like the thought. Already, they are starting to not nurse as much. It's more of a bonding thing now than anything, just a little snack here and there.

I'll be sure that she gets the rest she needs, though, but I don't think drying her will be a problem. I'm sure there will be some I'll have to separate when the does are pregnant and need to be dried.

Well, that's how I do it. :) You can try things out and figure out what works for you. :)

·
14,760 Posts
We usually wean about 10 weeks old. Sometimes we just sell them right off the mama. Never had a problem either way.

We like to give the mama's a chance to recover from raising kids/have a break before they are bred again.
These are boer/%'s.

My son has a doe now that the kids have taken a lot out of. I've been trying to figure out how I should do things, since my son wants to keep his buckling.
They are 3mo on Friday.
Most likely when the kids show them on Thurs, we'll bring them home and separate them.

We've had does that refuse to let their kids nurse a week or so later. Then there are those that will let them a month later, 2 months later, etc.
There are those that if you sell one baby they won't allow the other one to nurse anymore.
So I guess how long you have to keep them separated from mama depends on the particular doe and kid.

·
1,384 Posts
We wean cold turkey at 8 to 10 weeks of age, making sure the youngest in the group is at least 8 weeks, we do feed creepfeed heavy and have a creep feeder set up, so ours are eating a 16.5% pelleted goat feed well by the time they are weaned, and we sell more show wethers than breeding show animals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts