The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We picked up a myotonic wether, Clancy(4months old on the 25th) this past Friday evening. We already have 2 ND/Pygmy cross wethers(Willie-14months & Ducky-10months old). Clancy was not handled very regularly and was dam raised. He was just weened and put in with 3 other bucks & 5 bucklings this past week plus just banded on Friday. So, basically the little guy has lost his momma, been threw into a buck pen with the big boys, then lost his little buddies, banded and now is with 2 goats & 2 humans in a place he has never even seen before-all in a span of like 3-4days!

At this point we are just talking really sweet & reassuring to him...offering him treats...and not letting our 2 older ones bully him TOO much...he seems to be handling the stress much better than me tho- I can't stand to watch them not accept him but I know its going to take time.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this transition any easier for him or my older 2...Ducky is really being aggressive with him-stuff like he tries to keep him from eating hay from the same bin as them and will not let Clancy get on the deck and lay in the same area as them. Ducky is the 2nd goat...Willie is the leader but doesn't seem no where near as worried. Should we(humans) just kinda sit back and allow them to like each other 1st?

Yesterday I was out there with them pretty much the entire day refereeing but since I have to go back to work tomorrow I have limited how much Im out there today to see if its better. Clancy pretty much just stays out of their way. He is doing great tho as far as physically-eating, drinking, peeing, berries good, chewing his cud. I have attached some pics of Clancy.

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,912 Posts
Cutie pie! Look at those big horns! :)

The others will get used to him in time, but for now, I would offer him his own bowls of food, treats, ect. Give him a little bit of special care so that he can still eat without getting bullied.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I agree...it will just take time for them to establish a pecking order. As long as nobody is getting seriously hurt, I would just let them be, they will start to figure out their places in the herd and the aggressiveness will slowly wind down. Just make sure he is being allowed to eat...if they aren't I would definitely do like Katelyn said and make sure he gets to eat alone without being picked on. And I understand....it totally is worse for us than it is for them sometimes lol. They are our babies :p

·
Super Moderator
31,625 Posts
awe..he is handsome...I agree if he is not getting hurt then leave it to work itself out but if they are being too harsh...I find it best to introduce a new goat in a pen which shares fence with the others..this give him a safe place to rest and eat while they will do fence meeting..after a week or so you begin bringing him to their pen fro visit with you there..if they do a bit of testing its ok..but if they get too harsh repen the new guy and try again in another week...this reduces the stress of him having to defend himself and keeps him eating and drinking ..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We are actually feeding him separate and he has decided for now he likes under our deck steps better than actually being on the deck-when he does try to get on it Ducky will walk over to the top and look down at him intimidatingly and Clancy will lay under the steps. I have put separate water & hay there for him and some extra hay to lay in. They have a barn but only use it when it rains or is cold they prefer to stay on the deck.

He actually is to the point now he avoids Ducky even goes to graze in a different spot if he gets too close...I keep telling Ducky one day Clancy is gonna be bigger & stronger than him & will remember all this bullying :D

Unfortunately we don't have a way to separate him. We have decided if it rains that Clancy will be brought in the house if Ducky doesn't play nice.

·
Super Moderator
31,625 Posts
I think you are doing great with him...he will be welcomed in soon...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you are doing great with him...he will be welcomed in soon...
Thank you but now Im wondering if I didnt make a mistake getting another one :confused: Ducky is just so agressive towards Clancy...I know its only been a few days...but its almost as if Ducky is trying to take over(he is even being more agressive with Willie)-does bringing a new goat in upset the order already established in a herd? I find myself getting so mad at Ducky for just not letting Clancy be...when Clancy is trying to get away I have actually seen Ducky chase after him and I stepped in & stopped Ducky told him NO very firmly and loudly-which may have made things worse but I just couldnt stand it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It all just takes time. They have to set their roles early on to show him who's boss. He'll fit in perfectly in no time!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update....

This evening will be a week since we brought Clancy home-he slept in the house with us the 1st night, so tomorrow is actually a week since he was introduced to Willie and Ducky. And I have to say I have seen improvement already...they still are not accpecting him but Ducky seems to have stopped messing with him except when Clancy gets in his way of course.

And they are letting him sleep on the deck with them-well not beside them but he is up there...which is in improvement. This morning I seen Ducky over there next to Clancy(he was laying on the deck at the top of the steps) so I watched to make sure Ducky didnt get too pushy & try to butt him down the steps...but no Ducky just sniffed and rubbed his horns on Clancys head and seemed to be scratching his own head with Clancys horns...then walked off-Clancy never even stood up.

O my gosh I hope Im not jinxing them by saying it seems to be getting better:pray:

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
Don't worry, he'll turn 'round just fine. I've bought some frighty goats in the past and they are all teddy bears now. :D

As for the pecking order, usually that resolves fairly quickly. Does he have a "safe haven" where he can hide away? A separate feeding station is a good idea too, so he can eat as much as he needs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does he have a "safe haven" where he can hide away? A separate feeding station is a good idea too, so he can eat as much as he needs.
Yes he does...he decided he liked under the deck steps so we have him set up there...his own hay and water and we have even kinda "boxed" it in so if it was to rain he wont have to share the barn with them right now...o and of course his own little personal fan-since the big boys have one on the deck.

He is really warming up to us(humans) pretty good...he will come up to me now even if I dont have a treat for him & let me pet him-of course I keep a close eye on the other 2 during this petting-dont want any surprise attacks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts