Opinions Needed- Ankles Rolling

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KaidaBaby, Mar 11, 2014.

1. KaidaBaby

KaidaBaby New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Hello Fellow Goat Lovers,
    I have a pregnant doe, Nora, who is two months prego and just this week, I noticed her ankles are rolling outward. Her left side is worse than her right, with her front left hoof being the worst. It is almost as if she is starting to walk on the outside edges of her feet. I should clarify, this is not an issue with her knees, which are showing no issues. I first thought maybe it is due to it being a long winter and her having rough hooves, so I went in and gave her a good trimming, but I didn't find anything too horrible with her hooves. I must admit I wasn't the best at staying on top of hoof trimmings with the bone-chilling weather this winter- but no other goat is having this problem. When standing her front-left hoof looks even until she puts pressure on it and then it is as if the right pad of the hoof (inside of foot) is pushing left, towards the outside of the hoof. I'm not sure if it somehow grew this way without me noticing (?!?!?), or if it is bending under the pressure of Nora's weight being on the inside of her foot.

I read that it could be selenium, and we do live in a selenium deficient area. I give Vitalerbs and Kelp on a daily basis, and just had three goats give birth to six healthy kids using this regimen without any difficulties. Today I ended up giving Nora a vitamin E-Selenium drench and took some horse tape and taped up her left front leg which seems to help minimally to add support.

Some background information on the doe:
    She was a rescue case and I was told she was Lamancha. Fully grown she is the size of my male Pygmy goat. Although small, she was checked out by a vet and is a healthy girl. Over the summer she had Meningeal Worms and went through one treatment without worsening, only to show symptoms a week later. She was treated again with a different regimen, using more vitamins (including daily selenium/vit e drenches) and less chemicals, and she hasn't shown symptoms since late August/early September, 2013. About November, she did show lameness in her back legs, and at that time we gave her a selenium/Vit E drench and she was fine after that.

Questions/Concerns:
    - Could this be something other than selenium? It just hasn't been her "selenium deficient" signs in the past.
    - Should I be worried about the unborn babies?
    - Could her hoof be screwed up in a way a trimming wouldn't fix?
    - Is there anything I can do to help straighten out her ankles? Her front left is so rolled outward at this point that I'm afraid she is going to sprain it or do more damage. I did see a Nigerian Dwarf trip her up, making her fall.
    - Any suggestions, ideas, anything would be helpful right now.

:thankU:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Everfree

Everfree New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    If you're using the Selenium/E paste, that's typically a monthly thing. You might give her a shot of BoSe (the injectable Selenium/E). That's the only thing that comes to mind.

ETA: Sorry, just re-read that you've been giving her plenty of Selenium/E. I'll let someone with more experience tackle this one.

Everfree Farm

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    It would be nice to see a picture, I have a friend whose doe sounds like her feet are like that.

4. KaidaBaby

KaidaBaby New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    I will try to get a good picture tomorrow while it's light outside. I was thinking I should've had one when I posted it originally. Soon to come!

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Everyones feet are a little different.
    It just may be that you will need to concentrate on that front left side & trim a little extra as needed.

6. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    what exactly are you feeding (hay) and supplementing her with (loose mineral mix)? Copper and or calcium deficiency could also be a cause.