The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 month old Pygmy wether had surgery earlier in the month to remove numerous bladder stones in hi bladder and urethra. In hopes if preventing the stones from forming again the vet has put him on ammonium chloride, removed grain from his diet, and recommends we only feed him grass hay and forage. He also said that he should not be given any form of minerals, blocks, or salt licks. I'm worried about this recommendation because this leaves my goat with no source of selenium and we are a deficient area. I'm interested to hear some opinions in these recommendations. Should I abide by them or are these minerals and salts too important to take away?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I would talk to your vet and see what in the minerals he is thinking your goat should no be getting and he reason behind it. Then bring up your concern. He may have a good reason behind what he saying and may be able to give something for the sel. And other things he thinks is OK for him to have. Or you might find a mineral that does not have the things he thinks he should not have.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
They need the mineral no matter what. Grain no not really. I disagree with the vet in the mineral. Ammonium chloride yep. The loose mineral and a little extra salt is good. It helps them to drink more water and that will help to keep the stones away.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I also disagree with the vet about the mineral. I would lose the mineral and salt block and put out loose mineral. If you can find a good mineral with ammonium chloride in it, so much the better but if you can't I would still put out a good loose mineral for him. I've read a lot of articles about UC resulting from diet, but I've yet to see one about UC resulting from mineral consumption.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The loose mineral and a little extra salt is good. It helps them to drink more water and that will help to keep the stones away.
If my goats are any indication, the same thing can be achieved by adding a 1/2 cup of raw, unpasturized apple cider vinegar to 15 gallons of water, and the acv will bring a whole lot more benefits to the table than plain salt could ever think of adding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts