Opinions needed please! Azalea poisoning

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by joe747, Jul 11, 2010.

1. joe747

joe747 New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    England
    Hi all,
    Around 2 weeks ago our two bucks escaped from their paddock, they were not out for long and returned within ten minutes. The next day both were showing signs of illness (loss of appetite, lethargic, etc) and the one vomited. The Vet was called immediately and under her advice and without much hesitation it was decided to operate on the sickest of the two goats to see what the problem was. The operation consisted of removing the stomach and intestines cleaning out the contents, cleansing them and then stitching it back up (all done under local anaesthetic in the paddock). All that was found in the stomach was a few Azalea leaves. Anyway after a couple of days the buck that was not operated on returned to full health, while the other one was suffering from the operation (not standing, still no appetite etc). We had been keeping him hydrated and fed by forcing him with drench and electrolytes through a syringe. After ten days of doing this every few hours there had still been no improvement and he was still barely eating anything. Vets had been called back repeated number of times to administer antibiotics and appetite inducing drugs with still no improvement.

The vet was called last night and said he may be suffering from peritonitis (infection of the membrane surrounding the stomach) he administered more antibiotics. The goat died this morning :(

My question is did the vet do the right thing in operating on him so quickly, as research on the internet suggested administering charcoal as an initial treatment followed by possible flushing of the stomach through a tube with saline solution.

I cannot help but to think the vet is to blame for his death as the infection was no doubt caused by the operation she hastily performed in his paddock, surely this was not hygienic? and the fact our other buck (who is now without his twin) regained full health within a matter of days.

Sorry for the long story, but had to get the story across and need to know if my vets incompetence has caused his death.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I feel so bad for the loss of your precious goat...... :( and I agree ...that the vet was in the wrong here..... charcoal method would of worked.... it is usually the 1st thing to do ...if caught right away..... with great results... :hug:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I agree. charcoal is much safer and much more effective :hug:

4. picapica

picapica New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Cornwall
    I'm so sorry to hear what you went through, I would bet a pound to a pinch of snuff you had a horse vet, I live in cornwall and a "respected" vets practice killed one of my goats through sheer incompitence. Veterinary medicine is a licence to print money and the majority of vets aren't in it for the benefit of anything but their bank balance. :sigh: :(
    I would love to be proved wrong.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont blame vets often but I would in this case - that was NOT the right method and I would have administered activated charcoal and keep hydrated as well as given some yogurt for proper rumen function. I have pulled goats through poisoning like this before just as you had the other buck survive so did mine. I am sorry for your loss :(

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Oh my....I've treated numerous poisonings with Azeala and Rhodendron, not once did the vet suggest a surgery, The goats I treated weren't mine but belonged to others and they pulled through fine with activated charcoal and milk of magnesia. I'm sorry to say but it was very wrong of the vet to use your goatie as a guinea pig...and yes, that death is the fault of your vet because had the surgery not been performed at all let alone in an un sterile area your goat would not have needed all those antibiotics or would have gotten peritonitis. So very sorry your goatie died un-neccesarily.

7. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Oh dear.

One of mine got rhody poisening / frothy bloat and I treated it myself and she lived.

That is awful. :)