The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a new breeder and haven't picked a buck out yet but i have Boer does that are 100% Boer. I heard cross breeding really makes the kids grow faster in size. I was thinking of breeding my 100% Boer does with a kiko buck. But my mane breed will be Boer......any suggestions/opinions?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
If you have a small herd and want to be mainly Boer. I would stick with a Boer buck for now. Then maybe next year add the Kiko. Keep it simple while you are learning. Makes things easier that way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do they look more like their dad or mom usually? And i to have a nubian/boer cross, he came out red with white ears :)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I would breed your 100% Boer does to a Boer buck. Otherwise you are going backwards in the meat business. One reason why Boer crosses grow really fast is because usually the does are all or part dairy and are heavy milkers. The milk is the biggest factor. The hybrid vigor second. That would be my opinion, of course. ;)

·
14,615 Posts
Yes the crosses do grow well however when put over Nubian you'll have a leggier somewhat leaner appearing animal than full Boer.
This yr I got great color from the buck shown at the left here, only they were all 75% bucklings; a trad, an all tan & a black n tan out of the same doe.
One Boer doeling with nice brown cape the rest were ordinary as far as any fancy markings go.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
You may look into the Savanna breed. They are very fast growing, excellent mothers and very hardy. They aren't as popular as the Boers though, they kind of look like a white Boer goat.

If I had the 100% does, I would breed them to a 100% buck, it is better to cross the Boer buck onto the different breed of does.

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
Nubian crosses, have white bodies, red head,full capes,some don't, may have paint marks here and there, with cute freckled long ears. Mine looked nice, the legs were in proportion to the rest of the body.they weren't all legs.
I had 50%, 75% ect. Nubian Does and bred them to my FB boer buck, they grew faster than the FB boers, had the weight to them as well, in which, made it good for the meat market. That is how it went with my mixture. ;)

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Recently crossing Boer with Saanen has become popular in our area..Saanen are the larges dairy breed...all my Saanen bucks went to Boer goat owners last season who were looking ot add more milk to the herd..
it really depends on what you want the end product to be...

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Saanens are really more for dairy. They are really big and grow very fast and younger Saanens can be pretty chunky, but when they freshen they typically put everything they eat into making milk. A Saanen doe will grow some really nice meat kids though due to them having plenty of milk for the babies, plus the super fast growth rate. I have two full Saanen bucks kids right now, one born in December, the other born in February. They are both about 30 inches tall and weigh about 110 lbs. They are literally all legs right now. lol

Savanna's are a meat breed though, and are very chunky, thick and grow very fast. I have one Savanna doe, she is 8 years old and weighs over 200 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im a new breeder and haven't picked a buck out yet but i have Boer does that are 100% Boer. I heard cross breeding really makes the kids grow faster in size. I was thinking of breeding my 100% Boer does with a kiko buck. But my mane breed will be Boer......any suggestions/opinions?
We have a boer/Kiko wether, super sweet, his dad is the Kiko and mom a red boer. This is Frankie :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I think it all depends on what you are really after with your kids. Are you mainly wanting to keep the doelings? Sell and get the most money from the kids? I was kinda in your place when I first started out, I just bought 'goats', and the plan was to just buy a 'buck' to simply get kids. Then I came across a good deal on 2 100% does and I started looking into reg. boers more. If you get a 100% boer buck, you will, of course get 100% boer kids out of your 100% does, and everything else you can paper at 50%, the more you breed them back to a 100% the higher the %. That right there was why I went and paid the extra money for my 100% buck. At the time I didnt care anything about papers, but now, so happy with my self that I did go that way.
If you still would rather get something else, I would also look into the savannas, I do not have any, but everything I have read has said good things about them. They are a fairly newer breed so we as people have not made them that much less hardy yet. As for any dairy breed, I cant give my 2cents on that since I have some nubians, lamancha and had a saanen. they all did and do a dang good job. My one lamancha does the best and the kids seem more stalky (all bred to a boer buck) but she also gives a ton of milk so that might just be her.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts