Opinions on Dimensions

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 26, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    So, during last night's insomniactic episode, I thought I had a stroke of genius with that Common Room idea.

Bare with me, this might be confusing. Pretend you are looking at blue prints. Essentially a square. 26ftx26ft (because this area fits in my clearing without having to remove any trees :D). Now, I want the does stall to be long and narrow. That's the top of the square, which would be the back of the building. The pens will wrap upside down U shape. With a 6ft hallway in between.

Maybe I can write it out like it's shaped and it'll be less confusing :?

doe pen 6x21 | tack room 6x5

common 10x10
    Pen 10x10 | |__________________
    | | Kidding Pen 2 4x10
    ______________ ___________________
    Buck Pen 10x10 | hallway 6ft | Kidding Pen 1 4x10

______________| |___________________

It's not perfect, but it's an example :p
    These are mini goats, obviously. Would these measurements be alright? I know that 6x21 seems real narrow, but I plan to give them an enclosed porch out the back of the barn for some extra shelter from the elements.

Thoughts? :chin:

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Looked way less confusing when I typed it.

It's an upside down U. Left to Right - Bucks, Extra Pen, Does, Tack, Common, Kidding 1, Kidding 2.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have paint on your computer? or Publisher? that will make it easier to visualize ;)

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Would have made more sense to just make a picture in Photoshop before I even posted this... but I'm lazy. :p

Okay okay, so this picture isn't drawn to scale and I obviously cannot draw a straight line on the computer, but you get it. -- also I can take a ft off that common room if you think the back hall should be wider.

[​IMG]

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    where are you keeping hay?

2 feet is a small space to walk in when dealing with stuff in your hands

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Hay loft. Whole 2nd level. I'll probably take that extra foot for width in the hallway.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the tack room is for? grain?

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Grain barrels, folding milk stand, extra leads, the "goat kit" with trimmers and non refrigerated meds, etc.

The common room will just be a functioning clean kitchen, so I can get the milk clean and into the fridge asap. Hubby suggested putting a tv in there over dinner :p He'll be spending as much time in the barn as me, I know it.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    then at least 3-4 feet wide for the hallway there -- its hard to maneuver and carry bags of grain etc in a small space

10. TXsouthrngrl

TXsouthrngrl Guest

Sep 25, 2009
    Hey, I really like that! Do you have the feeders inside?

But yea I think 2 ft is too small for the hall also.

11. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'll have hayracks and water buckets inside and outside... but I usually feed them their grain outside. Less chaos.

I'll take the extra foot for the hallway. I really want that common room though. Especially since I bought the laptop :D I'll be in the barn more than the house. lol

12. TXsouthrngrl

TXsouthrngrl Guest

Sep 25, 2009
    I dont blame you, I think its a great idea. I may try to do something like this. I'm outside on the puter most of the time anyways since our house gets crappy to no service on my wireless.