The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I am finally breaking down to start blanketing my old girl. It was the first time she was shaking with the chilly morning and didn't want to go out to play with the other goats this morning. Got one of the dog insulated waterproof turn out blankets I use on my old shepherd when it's raining and as soon as I put it on her she perked up and went out to "play". Mind you playing at her current state is keeping up with everyone else walking the fields. I worry she may not make it through winter this year. She gets her special "go go juice" and vitamin b complex, red cell as needed, alfalfa hay, mixed grass clover hay and browse. I worm her more often than the others with her fecals she keeps getting less and less resistant to worms in her old age.

So I need to get some more goat blankets until I can sew some as backups. What brands do you all like? She is wearing a centaur dog blanket right now but I want to be able to swap them out daily to keep any moisture under it at bay or if it gets soaked etc. I know even the best waterproof blankets can still take on water and freeze. I alternate the old horse blankets all the time for this reason.

Also any tips to help build back up an old goats resistance against barber pole? Everyone else is fine and she is the only one struggling this year.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don't have any input on a blanket, but I'm sure others will!
I'm wondering how her teeth are? If she's having trouble chewing, you could make a mash for her. A warm mash on a cold morning is nice, anyway. Warm water laced with molasses is also a good pick me up for the cold days.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any input on a blanket, but I'm sure others will!
I'm wondering how her teeth are? If she's having trouble chewing, you could make a mash for her. A warm mash on a cold morning is nice, anyway. Warm water laced with molasses is also a good pick me up for the cold days.
She has not so good teeth which is why I make her what I call go go juice. Lol it varies on her liking from day to day what I add to it. Often has a touch of light karo syrup some days nutridrench other days molasses, warm water, some days a touch of baking soda, probiotics powder some days and sometimes a mash of grain or alfalfa pellets or beet pulp or rice bran. Just what ever she is in the mood for really. I have tried to find vets to do their teeth and most fear the sedation would kill her. Even the large animals vets I am friends with offered if we could hold her without any anesthesia but we fear injuring her jaw in the process. Still looking for someone willing to do teeth as my old buck needs one of his done too. He has a bad hook on a back right tooth that catches some things. He can't have corn shucks anymore for this reason. Most vets around here don't want to touch an old goats teeth it's sad.

I did pick up a spare dog blanket for now but still want to get a good few goat blankets for this winter. I think we will have a bad one with all the local predictions. This may be the year we get another good snow or two.

Chewy has a goat blanket listed but not sure how good it would be. Our next chewy order for the cat comes in 2 weeks so I could always order her one to see if she likes it. I just don't want one that gets soaked easy and freezes her while I am at work through the day.

Ps thanks !

·
8,492 Posts
Calf blankets, with adjustable back leg straps, belly strap (like a girth on a horse) and a chest strap. PBS used to sell them- they are water resisitant and work
really well to hold the heat in. For a large goat (not ND or Pigmy) , get the Holstein calf size. Foal blankets also work, but you may have to attach the back leg straps.
(watch for rubbing, etc).

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Calf blankets, with adjustable back leg straps, belly strap (like a girth on a horse) and a chest strap. PBS used to sell them- they are water resisitant and work
really well to hold the heat in. For a large goat (not ND or Pigmy) , get the Holstein calf size. Foal blankets also work, but you may have to attach the back leg straps.
(watch for rubbing, etc).
Is this the one?
Yeah my miniature horse blankets are too long down her sides to her legs so I didn't think a foal blanket could work either. That's helper to know. Looks like they have large instock right now but they had 3 types.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I've been using these for over 10 years and I love them:

I believe I bought size 36 for my girls. They're pricier than goat or dog blankets but they're much heavier duty and very warm. They stay put very well and stay dry on the inside even if they get pretty wet on the outside. I mean, I wouldn't trust them in a driving rainstorm, but I doubt your girl will ever be out in one of those. I've never had them be wet on the inside after any kind of snowstorm or damp weather.

I bought these blankets in 2013...
Snow Dog breed Plant Working animal Dog clothes

Still using them in 2021 and they still look new.
Snow Plant Tree Fawn Goat-antelope

·
Registered
650 Posts
She has not so good teeth which is why I make her what I call go go juice. Lol it varies on her liking from day to day what I add to it. Often has a touch of light karo syrup some days nutridrench other days molasses, warm water, some days a touch of baking soda, probiotics powder some days and sometimes a mash of grain or alfalfa pellets or beet pulp or rice bran. Just what ever she is in the mood for really. I have tried to find vets to do their teeth and most fear the sedation would kill her. Even the large animals vets I am friends with offered if we could hold her without any anesthesia but we fear injuring her jaw in the process. Still looking for someone willing to do teeth as my old buck needs one of his done too. He has a bad hook on a back right tooth that catches some things. He can't have corn shucks anymore for this reason. Most vets around here don't want to touch an old goats teeth it's sad.

I did pick up a spare dog blanket for now but still want to get a good few goat blankets for this winter. I think we will have a bad one with all the local predictions. This may be the year we get another good snow or two.

Chewy has a goat blanket listed but not sure how good it would be. Our next chewy order for the cat comes in 2 weeks so I could always order her one to see if she likes it. I just don't want one that gets soaked easy and freezes her while I am at work through the day.

Ps thanks !
I looked on Chewy and the one from the brand Horseware is the one I have. It is really nice. Not really sure how it would hold up in actual snow though because I’m in FL.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been using these for over 10 years and I love them:

I believe I bought size 36 for my girls. They're pricier than goat or dog blankets but they're much heavier duty and very warm. They stay put very well and stay dry on the inside even if they get pretty wet on the outside. I mean, I wouldn't trust them in a driving rainstorm, but I doubt your girl will ever be out in one of those. I've never had them be wet on the inside after any kind of snowstorm or damp weather.

I bought these blankets in 2013...
View attachment 215908

Still using them in 2021 and they still look new.
View attachment 215907
So your girls have any issues with the surcingle straps? Honestly I may try one of each if the hubby let's me get them all lol I have big Nubians so maybe the 36 would work. Thinking a 32 would be better but could always make due with longer since 2l36 is the smallest there.

Ps thanks!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked on Chewy and the one from the brand Horseware is the one I have. It is really nice. Not really sure how it would hold up in actual snow though because I’m in FL.
That's the one I was wondering about since it should be easy just to add to the cats canned food order. It seemed well thought out for the straps being under the blanket instead of on the outside. So far she hasn't played with the left over dog blanket strap ends. Just thinking the younger doe may start playing with it when she gets bored.

Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have taken the straps off before and still used it. It is one of the only blankets that my goats haven’t been able to take off themselves.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have taken the straps off before and still used it. It is one of the only blankets that my goats haven’t been able to take off themselves.
Humm it's sounding like a good option! I just worry too much and I don't want her getting a hoof in a belly strap. Trying to find happy medium not too tight not to loose.

·
Super Moderator
59,931 Posts
I just have cheap dog coats. I have also used child vests from Goodwill. I put it on so you are zipping it up along the back (spine). I look for ones with the drawstring at bottom so I can tighten it up so it doesn't hang loose.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
So your girls have any issues with the surcingle straps?
None at all. I think the worst that could happen is if they got a foot through the surcingle, and then when they got up they'd just push their leg through and the blanket would pull backwards and sideways and be awkward till someone fixed it. I don't think it's a falling or strangulation risk. But that's never happened to any of my goats in all these years. I did have one doe who always tried to get her blankets off and sometimes she'd manage to get one front leg through the neck hole. It looked stupid but it never hurt anything.

I'm pretty sure I bought 32" or 34" blankets the first time and then sent them back because they were too short. The 36" is perfect for adult does or young wethers. Now it looks like they don't even carry the smaller sizes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About the goat teeth...Do you have a local zoo? Zoo vets are pretty good at handling goat, llama and other ruminant teeth.
You might try giving the zoo a call. Our local zoo has always been helpful when they could.
I didn't even think about that! One of my old does kids off spring even ended up there in their petting zoo by the new kids owner.

Thanks I will check with them.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, @DDFN I just got an email from Valley Vet about goat coats. Maybe one of these would suit your needs: Blankets & Tubes | Farm & Ranch Supplies
Thanks! Hahaha well we know our phones spy on us but did you know your phone spies on your fellow posters for blanketing tips lol

It's so funny since I posted this I have had so many goat blanket ads popping up too.

Big thanks all kidding aside.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts