Opinions on Laboers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Boers4ever, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Active Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Hello all! I am thinking about adding a lamancha doe into my boer herd. The bucklings will be sold for meat. The doelings will be kept and bred back to the boer buck. Does anyone have any opinions on lamancha/boer crosses used for meat goats?

goatblessings likes this.
  2. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    I have one laboer doe and two LaManchas who i breed to my boer bucks. I really like them. I sell the boys for meet and the girls for milk. They sell just as well as the boers where I am.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    @Jessica84 says the LaBoer does can be a bit more aggressive in the herd I believe.

I want one in the worst way but the more erect horns make me anxious! I also get concerned about the Boer legs being shorter with a LaMancha sized udder. I suppose with great udder attachment that isn't a problem.

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh man do I have a opinion! Grab a drink and sit back and let me rave about the cross lol no seriously I have tried every dairy type out there crossed with my Boer bucks and the lamancha is by far my favorite when it comes to meat kids and even keeper does. Those kids grow like crazy. My laboers were always my fastest growing kids and not just up and boney looking but just nice stocky kids. They are always easy going and the does they have plenty of milk if one did want to milk but not crazy amount like a full dairy where you HAVE to milk them. Usually I helped my 50/50 out after they kidded with milk, which was perfect because it always kept my freezer stocked with colostrum but then they would level out and just raise their kids.
    I wouldn’t say lamanchas or laboers are more aggressive, it’s that once they figure out how to use their horns it can be down right dangerous and cruel. Although my disbudded girls do hold their own against my horned boer does. But the horns grow like a V so instead of just butting one in the side it is jabbing them with these devil horn tips. Also if they hooked a leg that leg is stuck there instead of having a bigger gap at the head to get away. Lamanchas have a whole different personality. They are sweet and loyal and loving without being totally over bearing about it and it absolutely broke my heart having to cull my horned does because I just couldn’t have them harming others. I even tried to weave a rope in and around their horns and they would just run their horns until they got the rope of. So I do strongly suggest if you want to go this way to be willing to disbud. Maybe my goats are just more wicked then the average herd and others might have better luck then me, but I personally won’t ever chance it again and they are disbudded from now on.

toth boer goats and Boers4ever like this.
  5. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Active Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Wow thank you so much for your replies! I am currently looking at a one that was just born this week. I am definitely open to disbudding. All of my boers still have their horns though so I’m hopping that keeping hornless and horned together won’t be a problem. I’ve always loved the look of lamanchas so I am looking forward to experience the cross breed. Maybe I’ll get some fresh milk out of it too!

SalteyLove likes this.
  6. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I used to have my horned Boers and my disbudded Nubians, Alpines, Oberhasli and Nigerian does all together. The Geriatric Nigerian was the herd Queen!

My Lamanchas are wicked bullies to the other goats. They grab their ears, bite and pull on them. I think they are jealous.

7. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Active Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Lol! If I didn’t have ears I’d be jealous too!! The one I was looking at didn’t work out. The chose to tell me last minute that she wasn’t full blood lamancha. Anyone know any lamancha breeders around northeast Texas?