The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to add a full size dairy goat to my herd. I was looking at getting an Oberhasli or a Toggenburg, but browsing craigslist today I found someone (in my town, so I don't need to drive a few hours) selling Lamancha's. Doe kids are $100. Unregistered. I would just like to learn more about the breed (size, milk production, temperment, opinions, and how they would mix with Nigi's as herdmates and breeding) before I call and see if they have any left... Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
I really like my LaMancha and my LaMancha cross. I would add a young goat so the Nigerians can bully them a bit. I have a young LaMancha doe and a young LaMancha/Nubian doe and my Nigerian is definitely the herd queen. She may not always be but I'm hoping they won't bully her when they are full grown.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Well I have my Nigerians, and I have loved LaManchas for a LONG time and finally got one this past spring! She gets along great with my Nigies :) I would start with one as a kid,
Or one on the low end of the peking order if you get an older one..
I am getting another doeling sometime this month when she is fully weaned, plus, I have put another reservation down for another doe kid for next year ;) I LOVE my Munchkins just as much as my Nigies and would recommend them to anyone :D

As far as milk production goes, my doe kids dam was milking almost two gallons a day last year! And my new doelings dam, as a yearling FF is milking well over a gallon a day :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just got my first manchie last week. She has a great personality, she is very curious, she is less pushy than my Nubians and Alpines, and she is MUCH quieter than my Nubians. You can see pics of her on our website. She is a real sweetheart. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I think I will ask and see if they still have any available and maybe go visit them! :)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I believe the Lamancha / Alpine cross is the best over all dairy goat for a commercial dairy. Outstanding milk production and increased butter fat on from the Lamancha side. And I dont even own any crosses :) But for everything else, the Lamancha is pretty much an Alpine without ears.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
My current buck is a LaMancha/Alpine. He is so sweet and friendly. Never agressive.
He only threw bucklings last season so it will be a while before I find out how his daughters milk. Hopefully we will get a couple of good does out of him next year. His boys are so sweet that I hate that they are destined to cross the rainbow 'fridge.
I would recommend them. (Even though, personally, I like the long eared, Roman nosed beauties the best.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts