The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are pine shavings safe to use in a goat barn?
Some of my goats eat the freshly laid straw in their barn, so I was concerned if they ate (or tried to eat) pine shavings. Will it hurt them?
Also, I will not use pine shavings when my goats kid but straw instead.
I know that cedar shavings that not safe for any livestock/pet, since cedar can cause respiratory issues, and other problems, right?

· Super Moderator
36,689 Posts
Yes. We use pine shavings here. Mine do nibble on. It when we put fresh out but never has issue with it

Reactions: HensandGoats

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks! Which types of shavings do you guys use? (Which type of pine)
Do you guys use shavings from the Southern Yellow Pine?

After some research I found out that the shavings I was thinking of buying are from Southern Yellow Pines.....I know that Eastern White Pines are safe for goats, while Ponderosa are not, but I am not sure about Southern Yellow Pine.

Here are the shavings I was going to buy (that are from Southern Yellow Pine).....

Rectangle Packaging and labeling Font Circle Magenta

Just asking (even though I am being overly cautious) since I saw this post: Pine trees needles edible?
Was curious if other people have heard this!

· Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
7,465 Posts
Thanks!
After some research I found out that the shavings I will buy are from Southern Yellow Pines.....I know that Eastern White Pines are safe for goats, while Ponderosa are not, but I am not sure about Southern Yellow Pine.
Do you guys use shavings from the Southern Yellow Pines?
Here are the shavings I was going to buy (that are from Southern Yellow Pine).....

View attachment 245439
I use those.☝

15,542 Posts
Pine shavings are just fine! Call around to your local farm stores and see who has the biggest bags for the best price, because if it's like my area, TSC is NOT the best option for the $$. The best we've gotten around us has actually been from Southern states in the county north of us, huge bag and was less than $7. We use those for show season - bedding at the shows, in our barns, etc.

15,542 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to chime in!
Was being overly cautious, but just wanted to be sure the pine shavings were safe :)

A good idea @HoosierShadow to shop around for a better priced/size of shavings!
Totally understand!! And yes, definitely shop around. Large flake are best IMO, I don't care for the small flake, they are very fine, and IMO dusty and also do not cover much ground compared to large flake which I have never had issues with. I want to say the ones I buy at Southern States are something like 12 cubic foot? And again, same price as TSC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts