The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,609 Posts
All your goats look really nice, so I'm not as good of a judge when they start getting into this quality. I'm better at seeing glaring errors, if you know what I mean.😏 Here is my two cents though:

Kismet is lack brisket, she also doesn't look quite as downhill as the other girls.

Opie is my favorite, being the longest and having great rump angle.

Creature might be leaning forward a bit in her picture, so topline and legs might be a bit distorted. I think she looks great overall though.

I like Buster more than Winston for length and rump angle and wrinkly dairy skin.

The only things we aren't getting from these picture is width, and that is something to put into consideration as far a which buck to use on which does. If Winston is wider than Buster, and you have some narrow does, you may want to use him for that reason.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I like buster as well! Something about him, he has a nice stance! I like kismet, her legs aren't quite as "under the shoulder" as the other girls, could be her stance. And Opie is nice looking... creature I don't prefer that slant towards the back I like a more even back but that's me! I'm not the best at this either I'm learning so...

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
Okay, coming back to this thread.

Kismet:

Pros:
Long rump
Strong, strait chine
Strong pasterns
Level topline
Great rear leg angulation
Body length
Neck blends smoothly into shoulders
Shoulders look nice and tight
Looks like she should have a really nice, high escutcheons

Cons:
Would like her rump a little more level
Front legs placed a bit too far forward
Lacks brisket
Toes out in both front and rear

Overall, I think she is a very lovely girl!! I really like the looks of her!! I was really only able to find four cons, and IMO, if she didn't have them, she would be amazing!!

Opie:

Pros:
Long, level rump
Strong, strait chine
Level topline
Lovely body length
Nice brisket
Front legs are placed under shoulders

Cons:
Pasterns are a little weak
Neck doesn't blend too smoothly into shoulders

Opie is a very nice, long, level, doeling!! I also am loving the way she looks and was only able to find three cons!! She is beautiful!

Creature (this is going off of the first picture):

Pros:
Long, level rump
Strong pasterns
Lovely body length
Neck blend smoothly into shoulders
Nice brisket
Front legs are placed under shoulders

Cons:
Weak chine

I really love this girl too!! She is very long, and dairy!! Stunning!!

All your girls look fantastic and only have a few cons!! Great job!! Now I'm not quite who I would breed to who. Both of your bucks have weak chines, steep rumps, and Buster has weak pasterns and also toes out just like all your girls do. Since Nigerian Dwarfs are dairy goats, it would probably have to come down to the lines of udders behind everybody, if those are the only options for bucks. I mean, you should definitely consider udders when ever you're breeding dairy goats. Sorry, but I'm not loving the looks of having any of them crossed together. They all have similar cons and you're bucks would most likely "ruin" the level toplines and rumps some of your girls have in addition to keeping their cons and maybe adding more. Sorry if I sounded mean in any way. If those bucks are the only two options you have for your girls, I completely understand and would be more than happy to tell you more pros and cons I see in them as well as giving more information on who I would breed to who. Just remember, no goat is perfect and IMO, your girls are LOVELY!! 🥰

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,843 Posts
It's not advisable to tickle them down as you don't get an accurate representation of them.

Kismet could use some better blending, especially in the shoulder/neck area. Her shoulders need to be moved back under her withers, she is forward set. She does have a fairly level topline and seems to have some depth for her age. Her legs are strong and her pasterns are tight though she toes out. You want the toes tracking straight forward. She's a fairly narrow doe.

Opie is my favorite of the bunch. Strong legs and feet, great depth, long, decent brisket, it's a little tilted but good extension. She looks a bit ewe necked, or needs some blending from the neck into the withers. Nice escutcheon height and decent width to her but could use more. She toes out in the front. She is your best doe.

Creature, here you can see the difference in punching/tickling down vs natural between the two pics. She has great brisket extension, needs blending of the neck into the shoulders, she does have some ewe neck as well. Her rear and rear legs need some work. She toes out as well. She's a bit wider than Kismet but could use a bit more width.

Buck wise, Winston looks good in the topline and has good depth to him. His shoulders are a bit forward set. He has a good level brisket extension. Tighter in the elbows than Buster. His rump could use more length to it. He needs overall length but lengthening the rump would balance him and give overall length. He has strong legs and good rear leg angulation. It's really hard to tell his blending, the light is harsh and casting shadows that make him look unblended and that may not be the case for him.

Buster had lovely length. He needs blending from the neck into the shoulders. Lighting is better so he appears better blended, but again, lighting., so I can't tell with Winston. He is forward set in his shoulders as well. (It's common in a lot of goats and breeds, something I'm changing in my own herd) He looks a slight bit weaker in the pasterns. Overall he looks like a decent buck.

With bucks you want to look at dam and grandam udders as well. That should always be the first deciding factor in dairy goats!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It's not advisable to tickle them down as you don't get an accurate representation of them.

Kismet could use some better blending, especially in the shoulder/neck area. Her shoulders need to be moved back under her withers, she is forward set. She does have a fairly level topline and seems to have some depth for her age. Her legs are strong and her pasterns are tight though she toes out. You want the toes tracking straight forward. She's a fairly narrow doe.

Opie is my favorite of the bunch. Strong legs and feet, great depth, long, decent brisket, it's a little tilted but good extension. She looks a bit ewe necked, or needs some blending from the neck into the withers. Nice escutcheon height and decent width to her but could use more. She toes out in the front. She is your best doe.

Creature, here you can see the difference in punching/tickling down vs natural between the two pics. She has great brisket extension, needs blending of the neck into the shoulders, she does have some ewe neck as well. Her rear and rear legs need some work. She toes out as well. She's a bit wider than Kismet but could use a bit more width.

Buck wise, Winston looks good in the topline and has good depth to him. His shoulders are a bit forward set. He has a good level brisket extension. Tighter in the elbows than Buster. His rump could use more length to it. He needs overall length but lengthening the rump would balance him and give overall length. He has strong legs and good rear leg angulation. It's really hard to tell his blending, the light is harsh and casting shadows that make him look unblended and that may not be the case for him.

Buster had lovely length. He needs blending from the neck into the shoulders. Lighting is better so he appears better blended, but again, lighting., so I can't tell with Winston. He is forward set in his shoulders as well. (It's common in a lot of goats and breeds, something I'm changing in my own herd) He looks a slight bit weaker in the pasterns. Overall he looks like a decent buck.

With bucks you want to look at dam and grandam udders as well. That should always be the first deciding factor in dairy goats!
This is Buster’s dam
Organism Fawn Adaptation Shorts Terrestrial animal
Leg Plant Dog breed Working animal Fawn

This is Winston’s dam
Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Tail Livestock

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,843 Posts
Do you have any rear shots? Buster's dam has a better fore extension than Winston's, but it isn't a huge difference! I was drawn to Buster more and looking at the dams he has a very nice dam. I see where he gets that length from. Her main flaw is how forward-set her shoulders are which actually gives the illusion of her being longer than she is. Buster was my preferred buck for your girls before seeing these, and I'd probably say he still is after seeing them. If you have rear shots then we'd be able to judge better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts