The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see the caveat, if you want his papers it will be $130 more. I just wondered if this is common and if this buckling was even of that kind of quality.
Of course also the "I want another goat monster" rears it's head and I wonder about mini Nubians. I have to quell that thought though. It isn't what I set out to do and I don't need to veer off track.

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
Selling goats cheaper without papers gives you a bigger buyer audience. Some people would be thrilled to have good bloodlines but don't care about papers. If you spend the money on showing and testing, you aren't going to sell a registered goat cheap. But bucks are the hardest to move so offering them at a cheaper price with no papers gives you a better chance at getting them sold.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question, do people haggle on goats. Like say, someone really wanted this buckling but wanted the papers. Is it acceptable to offer the seller say $150 with papers versus $65 without or the $195 with that this seller is currently offering.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want this little guy. He is cute but not what I am looking for, just wondering and trying to learn. I know in horses it is common to haggle. I really want to stick with Nubians for now. Maybe not registered stock yet, but at least Nubians. I want to have some idea what I am doing also, before I bite off more than I can chew.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Sorry, didn't have internet for a whole day here... :/ I think $130 is kind of a lot for getting the papers. :scratch: But I'm kind of new to that as well. I was looking at a doeling from a very nice farm for a while- they had very nice goats, UTD on shots, worming, hooves, disbudding and they also tested for several diseases. Anyway, they were offerring her unregistered for either $275 or $300, can't remember for sure- and $325 registered. And registering a goat only costs like $50 at the MOST I think, so $130 sounds really steep to me.
Thinking out loud. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
It's not $130 TO register the goat. It's to get the goat with the papers. Goats with papers can go to sanctioned shows, you can register the kids (and sell them for more) therefor make more money. That's why they cost more.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't want this little guy. He is cute but not what I am looking for, just wondering and trying to learn. I know in horses it is common to haggle. I really want to stick with Nubians for now. Maybe not registered stock yet, but at least Nubians. I want to have some idea what I am doing also, before I bite off more than I can chew.
In my experience which I had a couple goats a few years ago and knew absolutely nothing about them and recently started my heard 6 months ago. So not a lot but someone else may chime in. But if you are considering having registered goats eventually it is wise to start off that way. In the long run you may be spending more money and time trying to get bloodlines and mixed babies out of your herd. Again I'm new at this also :)

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
He is really cute with great bloodlines buy the sound of the ad. I think the issue here is that a buck is worth as much as a doe , he is half the herd. A wether cant pass on the genetics. The registrations are worth it to me. I even had one guy who wanted registrations on his wethers, why i have no idea. If you dont have registered does and only want a homestead herd you dont need those papers but i would still buy him registered because you never know.goats grow on you and you may decide to get reg. Nigerian does. Jujst so you know adga will not accept nigerians for their noa program which is another story but it ticks me off. Actually $195 is a pretty good price for a registered buck. But i would haggle with him. Yes indeed i would.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts