Opinions please-Alpine doe

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I am interested in this doe, and would appreciate opinions.

http://www.seaualait.com/does.htm

The doe is Caledonia, the 4th doe down. She is priced at $450 as a bred doe. She is due Jan. 16, and will be a second freshener. She is bred to a really nice Olentangy buck. Thanks
    Ashlyn

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like her -- would like to see more of a brisket on her but that may come with age

3. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Ooo, I didn't notice that, thanks! I hope that would get better with age, if I get her.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    check her parents -- did they have a nice brisket or no?

5. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I just checked, I can't find a pic of her sire, but her dam has a really nice brisket!

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats what I would ask about -- sure someone else might notice something else but thats what stuck out to me

7. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thanks Stacy

http://www.capralane.com/_/rsrc/1243653 ... ammile.JPG

This is a pic of her daughter, from another buck though, if this helps any. To me, her brisket looks a little better, but her rump looks steeped. Just another question, what is is with the steepness of rump? I have noticed some really top quality does have very flat rumps, and that seems to be very desirable. Why is that?

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i say yes yes yes.. she's a pretty nice doe, and the brisket and udder capacity will come with subsequent freshenings.. plus she'd be bred too! its a steal

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    and her doeling is roaching her topline up... making it look steep.. in reality i'd bet its fairly level

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
  11. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Wow thanks. I am trying to talk my parents into letting me purchase her, I have the money, but my parents think I have too many goats as it [11] and she is about 5 hours away. My parents love all the goats. My mom seems as though she may be breaking in though. :cool:

12. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Oh, I guess Penny is her daughter as well, so Cali must be a 3rd freshener, my bad.

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    very nice doeling out of her, good deal in my opinion :thumb:

14. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    Get her, she looks like a good goat. :thumbup:

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup first daughter is roaching her back -- second daughter shows even more promise overall - even has a nice brisket :wink:

I say she is worth it

16. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thanks everyone. I am really trying to talk my mom into it, but she is putting her foot down and I don't know why. The doe is $450 but is a bred 3 yr old, with an LA of 91, that is really good for that age, any age actually. My mom wants me to call about a doeling in the paper, but I don't think she is even registered, or from a local breeder. The local breeder has pretty nice goats, but all she has is kid reservations, and the only breeding I might be interested is $350, which is only a 100 bucks less than the bred 3 yr old. I think my mom may be upset about the distance, which is plain bogus! This doe is located 20 miles south of the Michigan border on Lake Erie. That is about 4 hours from here, but my father drives EVERY WEEK from here to about 20 miles north of the Ohio/Michigan border to work at a nuclear plant. I don't go up to Michigan very often with him, but he is off for three weeks start Dec. 17, and him and I could go pick her up. And then my mom is complaining about the fact that is near Christmas time and she is busy. I just hope this will work out. I would much rather have a bred doe than a kid. I just don't understand, most of the kids I am interested in are at least $450 anyway. That even isn't a problem as I have money and could easily afford her. So to say the least I have been in a crappy mood all morning and am going to try to talk ''Daddy'' into it later. When I want a $450 goat to breed, show, milk, etc. I can't have it, even when I have the money, yet she bought a buggy horse, a nice buckboard cart, and a really nice biothane harness and used it 3 times [I use the horse though, for riding]. I am ticked. Sorry about the rant.
    Ashlyn

17. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    She is a nice doe but, If I were you, I'd probably hold off on getting more goats until you've got your herd's health in order. You mentioned in another post about a couple of your goats being sick--one with a possible CL abcess. I would have her tested--and maybe all your goats tested--before bring any more goats onto the property.

This doe you're looking at is a very nice girl--what a shame it would be to bring her home and have her possibly catch something from one of the ill goats.

18. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I am looking into my doe, and maybe others tested, but I can't find a lab. My mom is now considering letting me buy her, and I could keep her in a stall in our horse barn until the situation is figured out and after she kids.

19. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You'll probably have to ship samples to a lab that does testing--a lot people use WADDL (google it) and I have used them before as well. They can test for a variety of diseases from a single sample and use the most up-to-date methods.

As has been mentioned, blood testing for CL is not 100% accurate--I would not go so far as to call it worthless though. It is still right more often than it's wrong and can be a useful tool in diagnosing an infection. If your goat develops another abcess, be sure to collect a sample from it because, yes, this is the most accurate way to test for it.

If you do decide to get the doe, keeping her separate is definitely a good idea--but you already knew that :)

20. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, that's pretty good I'd say, and she's bred, so it could be a buy one get 3 deal. :D