Opinions Please...Market Goat?

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Just Kiddin', Dec 3, 2008.

1. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    I am looking for everyone's honest opinion on this little goat. We don't know too much about the boer goats. This little buck was born from our own stock and my son wants to use him as a Market Goat for a May fair. Last year I went out and bought him one from somebody else's stock and he did real well with it but I paid a pretty penny for it. This year he wants to use his own stock and we've been looking at this one. My son really really likes him but I wanted to get some opinions from the boer breeders on how you all think he looks as far as market goats go. I took these pics today and he is only 2 and a half weeks old but he looks pretty good to me. Then again I don't know too much about the boers like I said LOL. If you don't think he'd do well don't be afraid to tell me! Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    he's for victorville??

yay i get to see him growed up.. and show against him.. so does sis.

whats his percentage? usually at victorville the judges like long goats with big butts..

he looks like a hopeful to me though..

i'll try to find of my one from last year i got reserve 4H with to show you kinda what we get there every year

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ok .. i've got more if you want them.. but these are what i can find right now

the first is jelani at two months right after being taken off momma

the second is in january

and the third is in the champion lineup

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    could use a bit more lenght , but really- he's good for a market wether.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    found another.. jelli in march

i don't think he's short.. after all he's only a few weeks. he's looking pretty good

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well yeah, he has lots of growing ahead of him!! :) have fun with your wether!

7. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Yes it's Victorville. We've had market goats the last 3 years but I just wanted an opinion on this particular goat. He does have a lot of growing to do I know so we'll see what happens.
    Dumb question...does color really matter in a market goat? Are the judges looking for your typical red and white color or does it matter? I know it shouldn't since they're a market animal but do judges look at that?

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i don't think they judge against color.. one year we had a red paint and he placed over all but one of the goats in his feeder class

i like him.. he looks like he's gonna be really long and fairly wide he's nice and deep too

all this talk of baby market goats is making me anxious!! mine is born in the next few weeks!!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    SDK's market wether ... is really nice...That is what a market wether should look like..... :shades: :thumbup:

Crystal....he is a nice looking little guy.... it is a little soon to tell... how he will be ....as market wether....until about weaning age.....he looks to me ...to have some nubian in him ..that is the typical ...ear color markings.. and the beautiful long ear standard of a nubian....LOL :) I do like him though...just give him a litte more time ...to see. :) SDK 's wether is the standard that the shows are looking for....

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I think he looks pretty good for his age but it's pretty early to tell. He's pretty cute to.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

jelani the jelli bean was the bestest goat ever!!

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    SDK..he looks like he was/is a nice market goat.

14. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    I dug out some pics of a couple of his prior market goats. I was just looking for opinions on this little guy because if he wasn't going to work then I need to reserve one from the place we usually get them like NOW. We've never had to pick one out. The breeder usually does it for me because she lives quite far from us so it's hard for us to go and pick one out and then go back once its weaned to pick it up. I just don't want to run out of time and not get one reserved if this one won't work. I have other market animals to pick up around the same area so I could get them all in one trip if I had to reserve one. Decisions, Decisions!

[​IMG]
    2007 Market Goat

[​IMG]
    2008 Market Goat...he ended up winning the Supreme Grand Champion Poultry Meat Pen and he couldn't sell his goat because he had to sell the darn chickens. Just our luck! LOL

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    they're really nice

i get mine from my friend for pretty cheap.. i think i paid 200 for mine. she might have some too if your interested to go there

16. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    what is consider a market goat ? Weight ? Size/
    Karen

17. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    At our fair the minimum weight is 70 pounds and the maximum weight is 120 pounds for a market goat.

18. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    RE; color/pigmentation for Market; it matters not. In Sept on a whim I signed up a 7mo old doe for the Market class. She doenst have much head or ear coloring and hardly any tail pigmentation. She was Res Gr out of a class of a wethers.

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    how's your little guy growing out Just kiddin'?

also if you know anyone.. my sister is looking for a wether nearby

20. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Hi Sarah!
    Actually I'm really liking him! There's just something about him that catches my eye. I have 2 sons and my youngest is old enough to show large livestock this year so this is going to be his first fair that he actually gets to participate in. He's going to take that little wether and I shelled out the money to buy my oldest son a wether from another reputable breeder. He's more competitive so I went ahead and spent the money. I'm trying to think of anyone nearby who might have some for you. We go up north for ours. Have you tried Tom and Ashley from Big T ranch in Pinon Hills? I don't buy goats from him but my cousins do. They had the F.F.A. Grand Champion and F.F.A. Reserve Grand Champion and the Supreme Reserve last year with goats from him. I choose not to buy from him for my own reasons but he may have one. He has a website if you google Big T ranch. It hasn't been updated since 2006 but it has all their contact info on there. Other than that I can't think of anyone right off the top of my head but if I do I'll let you know. :)
    Do you know anyone that is looking for market swine for our fair? I'm going to pick ours up in 2 weeks and he asked me to ask around and see if anyone else wanted any. VERY NICE PIGS!