Opinions please, more Alpine does

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Sorry, but I have more does to evaluate. My parents and I have talked, and I will be saving up money to buy a doe or two next spring, when we are more prepared and less busy. I really like Munchin Hill, and they have will have 7 first fresheners in 2010, and they plan on selling 5-6 of them. They don't have anything on their website about who they will be selling, but will decide after they freshen. Here is the page with the does:
    http://www.munchinhill.com/J1
    I like Klass Act and Prodigy best, presonally. Avalanche is one of my favorites, but due to an injury, her right hind leg isn't right, so I don't think I would be interested in her. What do you think of them, and who do you like best? They will be priced between $300-$600 after freshening depending on conformation, and I think that is super reasonable. Thanks.
    Ashlyn

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    prodigy is my favorite on that page.. she seems like a really nice, well balanced doe , deep in the barrel with a nice level rump

my second choice is Praline, though she is a smaller doe she's put together rather well, her rump is a bit more level than the first doe, but her chest depth is lacking a little more than prodigy . both prodigy and praline have those gorgeous long lean feminine necks that blend into high tight withers and they have nice sleek dairy bodies

my third is arabesque. She's a shorter bodied doe, but still gorgeous. She's got a great wedge shape to her body, that some goats don't develop until they have 3-4 kiddings on them.. very dairy girl, even with the shorter body.

I like klassic's overall package, but they state that her front end isn't turning out as well as the others, and that she's put on a lot of weight, which puts extra stress on her growing frame.

Portrait is a dairy little doe that's feminine, but she is a rather short bodied doe, if i remember right they said she was the shortest bodied kid they kept. but she's still very dairy and uphill, and even with the short body she's got depth in the barrel and heart girth, giving her a ton of body capacity, and she's the youngest doe they have

Avalanche is a really showy doe, but IMO she's the least favorite. along with her injury, which since she doesn't bear a lot of weight on it, could put a ton of extra weight on the rest of her frame during pregnancy making her wear down as a production doe much faster than the sound does, her neck blends in lower on her shoulders than all the other does on the website page, almost giving her a ewe neck. look at her sister arabesque, same litter and her neck blends into the withers much smoother and higher. she also has the least amount of depth in the heart girth and barrel, leaving her with the least body capacity of all the does.

3. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thank you so much. I am just trying to get the hang of all the conformation stuff, but so far I suck at it. I always do the conformation judging thing in the DGJ, and I am usually way off. But hopefully it will come in time. But I was probably right on Prodigy, she is also my favorite doe on the page as far as her conformation, and her dam has a fore udder to kill. That is also my mom's fav color, which would give me a better chance of getting her. I also like Arabesque, but I don't know what you mean by wedge? I guess I was wrong about Avalanche, I seem to get confused between what is dairy character, and what is lack of depth. Thanks again.

4. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Anyone else have opinions?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Personally i like klass act and priline the best. I had a half brother to the peek triplets. AS well as a buck out of Annie, both can be seen on my buck page if you're interested.
    beth

6. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thanks. I was thinking that if my mom would let me buy TWO, I would get either Prodigy and Klass Act or Prodigy and Arabesque. I hope to sell my buck [I am thinking about just using A.I. and the three EXCELLENT [Strawberry Fields, PJ Bailey's, and Addi-Hill bucks] in my local area for breeding and sell my two dry yearlings to make room for others. Also thinking about maybe buying a few Fullblood Boer does to keep in the really nice buck pen instead, for added income [to breed and sell offspring as 4-H wethers and does as replacement stock], but that is just a thought. I will check your bucks out, sparks.
    Ashlyn

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    a wedge shape is when the doe gets wider from top to bottom on the side profile as you go back.. so shallower in the front at point of shoulder, getting deeper into the heart girth and back into the abdomen

8. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
  9. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Anyone else have any opinions on them?

10. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I have Alpines and we use their milk to make cheese. I agree I like Prodigy and Praline. They both have flowing lines,
    neck to body and legs. I like their coloring but I am parcel to the back and white coloring. Are you going to use them for the
    milk? If so you might want to see a picture of the damm with a full udder and ask how much milk she produces.
    On Klass Act the angle of the picture doesn’t show how she flows from her neck.. I love her colors. Her face has the
    distinct Alpine coloring. For me the weight would be an issue. I would want to see the front legs and are they doing
    anything about her weight.. On Avalanche I would also want to see a better picture of the leg.
    Also, don’t forget to ask if the have been tested for CAE.
    This is my opinion.
    Keep us posted on what you do.

Suellen

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

For some reason i just dont care for Prodigy. The first thing that caught my eye is her head. She has a very plane jane head, a little bit of a bump on her nose. Not the dished face i like. Much like her dams head. She has a beautiful long neck. Id like to see tighter smoother shoulders. and sa stronger rear leg set. I also noticed that she toes out a lot in the back and front. I like pralines topline better, she apears to have a more natural uphill apearance, unlike her sister who seems to be more punched down to give her the more level rump she is showing.
    They are just kids in the pictures and a lot cah change in the few months between then and kidding. Just giving you my honest opinion.
    beth

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

For some reason i just dont care for Prodigy. The first thing that caught my eye is her head. She has a very plane jane head, a little bit of a bump on her nose. Not the dished face i like. Much like her dams head. She has a beautiful long neck. Id like to see tighter smoother shoulders. and sa stronger rear leg set. I also noticed that she toes out a lot in the back and front. I like pralines topline better, she apears to have a more natural uphill apearance, unlike her sister who seems to be more punched down to give her the more level rump she is showing.
    They are just kids in the pictures and a lot cah change in the few months between then and kidding. Just giving you my honest opinion.
    beth

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I agree with Sparks. I also like Klass Act and Priline the best. I think they have the best overall appearance.

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    My favorite is Avalanche. Though you mentioned an injury she seems the strongest to me. However if your plan is to show she may not be the best choice for you.

My second choice is Prodigy. Nice doe.

I don't like Klass Act simply because she toes out in the front and you can see this in her first photo. Otherwise she's a very nice doe.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I just took a look at the breeding page and personaly i like the praline x frenchie breeding. Wow i would be getting a kid out of that one if i still had goats. I had Frenchies littermate brother and he has thrown awsom kids. As did buster (my peek son) I did an out cross with cyclone bringing both annie and peek back into the mix would be awsome. Makes me want my goats back, but i just cant afford to right now.
    beth

16. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Hey everyone. I have an update. I sent a deposit yesterday for a Munchin Hill yearling. Pat is most likely keeping Avalanche and Arabesque, and someone has reserved [they could change their mind] Klass Act. So, [if someone doesn't change their mind] I would have the next choice after they kid, between Prodigy, Praline, and Portrait. I am really leaning towards Praline now, as she is more correct than Prodigy. I am really excited about this, and Cherry Glen is only 20 minutes from Munchin Hill.............
    Ashlyn

17. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Hey everyone. I have an update. I sent a deposit yesterday for a Munchin Hill yearling. Pat is most likely keeping Avalanche and Arabesque, and someone has reserved [they could change their mind] Klass Act. So, [if someone doesn't change their mind] I would have the next choice after they kid, between Prodigy, Praline, and Portrait. I am really leaning towards Praline now, as she is more correct than Prodigy. I am really excited about this, and Cherry Glen is only 20 minutes from Munchin Hill.............
    Ashlyn

18. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    What does your herd look like now? too dairy or too fleshy? They offer a wide selection depending if you need more angularity and dairy character or power and structure.

19. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Congrats,I'm sure you're excited :)