opinions please - regarding triplets

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by rgbdab, Dec 17, 2008.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Hi, I was blessed with triplets yesterday. This is my first set of triplets and although several of my does are 4 teated, of course this one is two teated.

In your opinions should I
    (1) supplement with regular milk and make sure everyone gets some (2) take 1 kid off and bottle feed
    (3) don't interfere (from now on) LOL

I guess it's too late for "don't interfere"
    So far I made sure each got the chance to nurse on their first day, they largest is a boy and he is very aggressive in nursing but the 2 girls often spend more time pushing each other off the teat than they do nursing unless I intervene.

Today I warmed 2 ounces of milk in a bottle and took with me to check on them, 2 were nursing when I got in the barn and I bottle fed the other the 2 ounces. Then at noon I warmed 4 ounces and took with me and I fed each girl 2 ounce apiece, but for now this is just to get them up and going good. It was 22 degrees when they were born and is still cold and wet, though thankfully above freezing and I wanted to be sure they all got a good start.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Are these Boers?

I would watch them, personally, and if they are getting enough then I would leave them, otherwise I would pull 1 and bottle raise and leave the others with momma

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I totally agree with Allison. I had a FF doe last year, she had two very large babies. I had a orphan doe (long story) that no one wanted and i did not want to bottle feed if I did not have to, so I took this doe and I put her on this FF and she nursed three big beautiful babies with out any problem. Of course she was pampered and given more grain and treats to keep up the milk production.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You have done good so far making sure they all get a good start.

Here's what I would do:

1. Observe and decide whether mum has enough milk or not, and whether she can 'rotate' them to feed them all

2. If she is struggling, either take one kid off and foster onto a doe that only has a single, or

3. Top them up with a bottle. Offer all three a bottle morning and night and pretty soon the ones that are hungry are the ones that come running to you for their milk. I would leave all three with mum out in the paddock though, makes for more adjusted kids.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have boers and right now have 3 sets of triplets on the ground...just born....They are doing fine..... I to have 2 teaters...but I don't have to supplement..... what I do....is the same as you are...I feel their tummy... if it is not full...but mom does have plenty of milk.... I either let the little one suckle without there siblings and get full....or milk mom....and bottle feed it still leaving the kid with mom......It usually happens with the First freshener's...at first ...they may not have quite enough milk ...... but gradually day by day.....start to increase milk production.......

If mom doesn't have enough milk...I get it from another doe....and bottle feed the kid or kids... that is weak...but still leave the kid with mom....
    feel there tummies ..if full leave alone.... if any are empty or could use more...then supplement...
    It may be temporary....but... if for some reason ...the doe doesn't do better with her milk....and the stronger 2 are not getting enough either...you may need to ...pull away from mom ..and bottle feed ....see how many kids ....she can handle and leave the biggest strongest on mom...especially the does...pull the bucks.... if you have to pull...unless you are keeping one to raise........ bottle raise away from mom........
    good luck..

6. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Yes they are boers. I thank those that replied, a lot of good common sense from all. The middle size doeling is the one that seems to be getting left out and she had her tail tucked, standing in the corner so I gave her a bottle of cows milk and she took 4oz. The other two are up and around with little wagging tails, so I think they are doing ok. Thanks again, Denise

7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Ok, not to hijack the thread but this was news to me.... I had no idea that goats could have four teats? I thought they were always a two teater animal?

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Boers can 2 or 4 teats. they must be clean and well separated. It's to feed multiple kids. i think its very practical.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I personally would pull the one that is getting left out but that is JMHO. :shrug:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    leaving the kid with mom but supplementing is a good idea. THis way if mom does start to have enough milk or she catches onto the idea it will make life better for her and you in the end. As long as mom isnt hurting her and she is getting fed you are good. :thumb:

11. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I just got back from the barn and she took 6oz so I guess she was hungry. While I'm feeding her, the other two are nursing. Mom treats them all the same it just seems like this one never gets a teat. I can't milk any of my goats without quite a fight so I am using whole cow's milk. I am hoping she also will nurse if she gets a bit more energy from the bottles.
    I was able to milk a doe that had a single in Sept. while the kid would nurse I would milk the other side into a cup to keep the doe from getting mastitis and I froze the milk. Of course in a few days the kid was expertly drinking from both sides and my help was no longer needed.
    Well I need it desperately tonight, but that is another story. See post, "big suprise".