OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Oct 18, 2007.

  1. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have been considering a request to have Chief studded out.
    I pretty much said yes but here is what my reply was.

    "I have the right to turn down the two does if they show signs of illness as my goats are a very important part of my family. The does would need to stay for a minimum of 3 weeks and then I will not guarantee a breeding has settled...especially as the one doe is a FF. Even though Chief has bred my Bootsie and she has not come back into heat this will be his first "kids"...I do not know the outcome yet.
    Most breeders will charge $35 to $50 for a registered stud and because you are willing to travel to bring your does to me and because I do not know what will or could be produced by Chief I will charge you $50 for the two does. Mind that you will need to track their heats so that a breeding can take place . I will keep in touch, as my barn constuction is still on going and fencing issues will be addressed also. The latest would be a December breeding. Please contact me if you would have any questions."


    What do ya think?
     
  2. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldn't require a minimum of 3 weeks but say something like "I suggest the does stay for a minimum of 3 weeks so to ensure we catch a heat cycle while they are here"

    why is December the latest you will allow breeding?

    since you don't guarentee a breeding will you refund the breeding fee if they don't settle? or will you offer a second breeding "free" ?

    If the doe still doesn't settle will you refund half of the fee for that doe?

    I am not saying you have to do either of these things but I would be clear in your letter about those options.
     

  3. alyssa_romine

    alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

    Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    you may want to require that they have a vet exam and/or be tested for CL, johnnes, and CAE before entering your property. Also make sure they worm their goats as needed so it doesn't put your her at risk.
     
  4. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As I have kids due here possibly the beginning of January I am thinking of the 2 does and the fact that a delivery would stress them even more than just being away from their home...and I would be a bit busier with my own girls. And I would offer a second breeding if the first didn't work...if she is willing to travel with them again. Also the owner had requested a December breeding for late April early May babies. As far as testing goes for the Johnnes and CAE...I don't test on mine and she knows that and the CL...Mine are vaccinated against it, not saying that it works just that it eases my mind to vaccinate.

    I have emailed her and will hear from her soon I hope...It sort of makes me feel bad though that she will have to travel...I personally wouldn't travel more than 30 miles ...shes going 100!!
     
  5. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the travel is up to her, you set the rules and if she likes them then it is up to her.

    now you will want to also decide how vet care is to be taken care of just in case one is in need of it while at your place beings that she is so far away you might need to make quick decisions on her care.

    Just stuff to think about and mention - most of the time you never need anything like that but it never hurts to be on the safe side.
     
  6. alyssa_romine

    alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

    Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I don't test mine either as I have never had a reason to test but that is why I said to check them over good and make sure they have no signs of illness. You stated that in your first post but I am seconding it.
     
  7. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you both!! I am waiting to hear from her and of course there will be the small details to work out....once she decides wether or not she can be without her girls for a few weeks then we'll discuss the minor issues...such as vet care etc. and wether her girls are on any specific type of feed or what color buckets they prefer...lol...I know that goats are funny about that stuff because Angel will not drink from the blue bucket...she drinks from the purple one. My goats have their quirks and I am sure hers will too. BTW...I saw their piccies..it is a mother/daughter pair and they are tri- color...broken buckskin?? not sure but they look calico, very pretty and healthy looking.
     
  8. alyssa_romine

    alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

    Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I hope you get it all worked out.
     
  9. goathappy

    goathappy New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
     
  10. trob1

    trob1 New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    If this were me those does would need a health certificate which is usually quite cheap and I would have a contract she would need to read and sign releasing you from any responsibility if the does get sick or die while in your care. You really need to have all your basics covered in that contract. Some people are sue happy.
     
  11. cute kids

    cute kids New Member

    196
    Oct 5, 2007
    my twin does are 'calico'....just lovely.

    be SURE to cover all your responsibilites with the visiting does in a SIGNED contract!!! cover ANY possiblity, even the most remote. people DO get weird if something should happen while their animals are in your care, and, no matter how careful you are, 'things' do happen. these are living creatures, so you cannot guarantee anything. just protect yourself.

    and i agree with the health cert; no matter how nice the does look in a picture, you don't want your buck or others to pick up anything that is possible to rule out with an exam by a pro. also will protect you should they come to you sick and then YOU get blamed!!!! (you might not pick it up yourself with your own checking over of the does.).
     
  12. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you all...these are some VERY good issues to cover, I did hear back from her and she seemed pleased with what I offered....and willing to comply with my wishes...we do have some small issues to work out....provided she can still bring them...she has some health problems w/her hubby now and may not be able to deal with this yet.Again...thanks a bunch...I do value your opinions 8)