Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by RowdyKidz, Sep 19, 2009.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    OK, I am a Pygmy girl...so I don't know too much about judging udders (beside the basics) and I was curious as to what you all think about my pygmy's (possibly mixed with another breed) udder.

And these are not full, I had milked her out a bit before pictures were taken.

Thanks!

ETA her udder is not trimmed either.

[attachment=1:32s1ajlb]Pictures 117.jpg[/attachment:32s1ajlb][attachment=0:32s1ajlb]Pictures 118.jpg[/attachment:32s1ajlb]

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well her biggest need is a higher rear attachment and then a stronger medial suspensery ligament (which will pull the udder up in the back and make the teats point down.)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    There may be some nigi in her, her legs don't have the thick look of pygmies. I agree with Stacey, her rear could be higher but seeing those big teats makes it look like she is very milkable!

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Ditto what Stacey said, she needs a much higher rear. She also needs more extension to the fore and her teats should point down instead of forward like they are now.

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks guys! :) I have another picture of her udder (another side view) where you can see it better.

And I most definitely agree! :thumb:

Do you think she's be a good doe to use for milk?

Thanks!!!

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, yes I would most definitely be milking her! :D

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks Capriola! She's my only unregistered Pygmy and I'm not quite sure she's just Pygmy... :shrug: But she was my first goat and I love her all the same!

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, she looks like she could have a bit of Nigi or just be an older style, slimmer pure-Pygmy. We had one of those when we raised Pygmies, she had the worst conformation but was a sweet doe. :)

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely milk her!! No reason why you can't.....around here wether it's a cup or 1/2 cup output, they get milked :)

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate all the imput!