The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions on breeding a doe late November that kidded late March ? Should we just wait? Really wanted 2022 kids (it鈥檇 be our first time breeding) but I can wait if necessary 馃槉 would it be better to breed a first timer or just wait a year and breed for 2023 kids?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confused about the first timer part. That is the usual time. You breed in fall and they give birth in spring.
By first timer I mean one of our does who has never had kids

Registered
I鈥檓 a bit confused too. I鈥檒l just offer this advice. Typically, depending on breed and maturity of the doe, about a year of age is acceptable for first breedings. As far as rebreeding goes, again it depends a lot on the age and health of your doe. As a general guideline, five months after weaning would be adequate before rebreeding. Some breed much sooner, but it鈥檚 always good to let the doe heal up and give her time to get back in top shape for next kidding. Also during this time you can do an evaluation of her overall health and performance to see if it would be desirable to rebreed her or wait.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the confusion I didn鈥檛 really word it that great. The doe that would be having kids for the fist time would be one year old, but to be honest I probably won鈥檛 bred a doe that hasn鈥檛 had kids before, since it will be my first time breeding/kidding. I don鈥檛 currently have her, she is coming in may, so I鈥檒l Just watch her once she is here and decide what to do then, thanks for the advice though! 馃槉

Registered
From what I understand, she was just born in March, you鈥檒l be getting her in May, and are asking about breeding late November?

If that is correct, she鈥檒l be on the young side to breed. However, it all depends on how fast she matures. You won鈥檛 know until you see how she grows. If she鈥檚 fast maturing then it might be ok, but I鈥檇 probably hold off longer (breed in January or Feb so she鈥檚 got more growth on her). If she鈥檚 slow maturing/seems immature, then hold off until the next fall.

I鈥檝e got one from last spring who I bred for June babies. She鈥檒l be 14 months old. However, she鈥檚 almost the size of her dam and was over 50 lbs when she was bred. She鈥檚 way more mature than most of the others from last spring. They will not be bred until this fall. Two of them I might wait longer since they鈥檙e smaller than I鈥檇 like.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
From what I understand, she was just born in March, you鈥檒l be getting her in May, and are asking about breeding late November?

If that is correct, she鈥檒l be on the young side to breed. However, it all depends on how fast she matures. You won鈥檛 know until you see how she grows. If she鈥檚 fast maturing then it might be ok, but I鈥檇 probably hold off longer (breed in January or Feb so she鈥檚 got more growth on her). If she鈥檚 slow maturing/seems immature, then hold off until the next fall.

I鈥檝e got one from last spring who I bred for June babies. She鈥檒l be 14 months old. However, she鈥檚 almost the size of her dam and was over 50 lbs when she was bred. She鈥檚 way more mature than most of the others from last spring. They will not be bred until this fall. Two of them I might wait longer since they鈥檙e smaller than I鈥檇 like.
No the doe we r getting is over 3 years old. She just kidded in March and I am getting the Nanny in May. I was wondering if it would be ok to breed her again in November so I can have kids in spring. I am not breeding any goats till they are at least 2 years old.

Administrator
Yes, it would be ok, but I prefer to only breed and kid out 1 x a year.
It is easier and healthier for the doe. They will last longer in life that way as well.

Make sure she is dried off.
It takes a lot out of them to remain in milk and go through a pregnancy before freshening for her babies.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it would be ok, but I prefer to only breed and kid out 1 x a year.
It is easier and healthier for the doe. They will last longer in life that way as well.

Make sure she is dried off.
It takes a lot out of them to remain in milk and go through a pregnancy before freshening for her babies.
Since she won鈥檛 have her kids with her (they鈥檙e being weaned by her current owner) with she dry up on her own or with I have to milk her? Sorry don鈥檛 know a lot about lactating goats yet 馃槀 I鈥檝e also never milked before, only had pet goats up until now.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

Registered
Yes I would breed her in November. That will end up being 11 months from kidding to kidding. A lot of mine end up kidding on the last part of my kidding and then are ones of the first the following year so that puts them at about 9-10 months between kids and they do just fine. I鈥檓 sure 99% of us don鈥檛 even think about it and end up having at least a few that do the same thing.
But pretty much if I buy a doe, and unless she looks totally terrible weight wise, which I wouldn鈥檛 buy or they did so that doesn鈥檛 happen, they all go on my kidding timeline. Breeding early isn鈥檛 going to kill them if it鈥檚 done once, it鈥檚 when it鈥檚 over and over with a very small break or no break that it really takes it鈥檚 toll on them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts