The Goat Spot Forum banner

Would you try?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok SO you all have been reading probably about my issue with miss Kitten.

Well I still worry about her not getting enough etc.

If you saw my recent pictures you can see how small she is.

My question is: If Destiny has a single (probable) do you think it is wise to try to get her to accept Kitten? Would it be to difficult on Kitten?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
You could give it a try, it just may work.

BTW, do you have Yahoo IM? If so would you PM or post your email addy cuz on all these "broken nights sleep" we are gonna need someone to talk to! LOL :coffee2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would give it a try...
We recently had a beef cow have a baby and the dang Buffalo kept licking him off and running her off...she finally abandoned the baby...anyway....the baby balled for a a couple days...floyd went and tubed him once and left him in the field....next thing we knew he budded up with another calf that had been born that day pretty soon that Mom was letting him suck...course twin calfs is really hard on an old (I mean OLD) cow but it worked...
Good Luck
Jill

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to try it IF I can be there for the birth which pray really hard I am for Kittens sake

Oh also she needs to only have a single! Her udder can not support triplets

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
OOPS, Like I said in the other thread, I sure would try. Make sure you can get some of that after birth and fluids to wipe on the baby. I am pulling for you and her. :leap:

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I have done it before with a kid that was two days old,but I had to take him away because he was taking all the milk. The mom actually thought he was hers and didn't want us to take him away.

When Destiny(or whoever you put her on) kids, have Kitten there behind her, when you get some birth fluids put it on Kitten then put Kitten in front of Destiny. She will automatically think, "Oh, I had this one too" Other than the part about the kid taking all the milk it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Stacey, it's definately worth a try! Destiny has only ever had one kid right? Even if she twins this time, her udder will give to satisfy them all. I also agree with getting Kitten covered with the birth yuk...she'll clean her off along with the other that she gives birth to.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes she has had only singles with me (told she had twins her first time) but this year she looks big enough for twins but lets just hope for a single (lol)

I plan to do that all with the birth fluids.

Right now I dont think there will be an issue with kitten taking all the milk as she still has difficulty finding the teat at times :roll: and she is as small as a newborn.

Liz Destiny's udder is smaller then Mistys! So I don't think she can handle more then 2 :sigh:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
i have done it before, i was with the adoptive mom when she had the kids. What i did was pull some gunk off the moms own baby and before i gave the kid to her. And rub it all over the other kid, i then put the orphan kid in fron of mom, she just kept licking. it worked really well.
beth

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so do you think is should given kitten first? I thinking that is a good way to do it.

Do you think it is going to be a problem since she has already seen and sniffed Kitten? Kitten loves being in the goat pen (as opposed to Presto who still is nervous about the other goats, she could care less).

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Stacey, do you remember back in February when Angel kidded how worried I was that she couldn't feed her baby? Well, everyone including you reassured me that she would make as much as her baby was taking...I do think that would be the case here with Destiny's udder, she'll make as much as is being taken....it will be allright, besides you know little Kitten well enough to know if she isn't getting enough.

As soon as she has that kid halfway out get Kitten ready to place in front of her, and get as much on her butt and head as you can.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yah well she was bred before Flicka ;)

Flicka will be last again this year. poor thing. This is her last pregnancy if I have anything to do with it. I hope she has a wether so I can send her with him/them as a pet. I think she would do much better that way. She has a delicate personality

1 - 15 of 15 Posts