The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping for some opinions about a lease for a buck that was recently presented to me.

I have the opportunity to lease Oakley, a very bucky Pygora buck, for a year or possibly indefinitely.
His owner has decided not to breed her Pygora doelings because of their size this year and since I was going to use him for breeding my fiber does she sold me, she offered me to keep him here.
I can keep him indefinitely if she can use his services next season.
I'm not really sure what to think about the situation.
Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
What are you unsure about, does the deal seem sketchy? to good to be true?

I personally would use it, as long as you know he's been cleared for CAE and Johnes and has the kind of pedigree, conformation, ect. I was looking for. If it doesn't seem right to you though I wouldn't do it. Your the only person that can really decide what best for your breeding :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm concerned about housing a larger buck. If he gets loose, will he be just as easy to manage as the girls?
Will he try to kill my little ND buck? Or my Nubian buckling?

He's a great looking buck, has great fiber qualities and is proven many times over, but he's 5 now too.
It's a little 'seems too good to be true' for me.
I do know she doesn't have much space and having a buck isn't worth her time right now. She has a full time job whereas I work on the farm, so I'm always within calling range of my herd.
We manage our goats in much the same way too.

I'm concerned about fencing too. He has so much fiber right now and I don't want to shear him before the snow flies, but I primarily use electric for my goats.
I don't think that will keep him in. This is only the 2nd year we've done goats and while we've learned quite a bit, dealing with a decent sized mature buck is something we haven't experienced.
Nathan weighs 35 lbs, so if he misbehaves, we just carry him around and plop him into a separate pen from the other boys for a bit. But we won't be able to do that with Oakley :/

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Gotcha,

If he is really as big as he sounds then I wouldn't take him if he's hard to handle. If he's easy to handle and walks on a lead then it shouldn't be a big deal. I would just really make sure he's got manners and respects people.

Bucks don't live that long so at 5 he still probably has at least a few or more years left. Unless it was a really superior buck I wouldn't want to buy one that old, but I couldn't see the harm in leasing. You would at least be giving him back rather than keeping him like a buck you would own so I don't think the age would matter.

Electric alone may not keep him in. He may need just plain fencing or an electric wire/fence combo. I would worry about your ND buck and the buckling.. Bucks do seem to like to duke it out from time to time and, I would think, he could hurt the nd buck if he's not big enough or the buckling.

I think in the end though it's all up to you, I mean I don't see any huge issues but it seems like you would still have more stuff to deal with. If you don't feel right about it then don't do it. If your going to have him you should feel happy about it, and not stressed out and worried! :)

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
Could you take him on a trial basis to see if it would work out? If you could return him if he doesn't get along with your other boys or other problems, then at least you can give it a try.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking him on a trial basis is a really good idea, but knowing me I would probably keep him for good even on that premiss! :D
I should talk to her about that.
I've justified the actual costs, we would still have to fence, house and feed a new buck if we bought one anyway.
I'm also nervous about caring for someone else's animal :/
As far as fencing, I was thinking of using 48" graduate woven wire, hemlock posts 6' apart, horizontal 2x8's at 18" and 48" and offset electric across the top and on the bottom board to discourage climbing and general destruction. We're building a new shed to house everyone, so he'll have his side for shelter. We plan on separating the two sides with a 5' cattle panel and reinforcing horizontal boards.
Does that sound adequate? He's a Pygora, so he's not THAT big, but he's bigger than all my other goats except my two Saanen/Boer crosses.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we're taking Oakley for at least a year! We decided having him on the premises is worth dealing with a few issues here and there.
We ordered lumber and started building a new tool shed and goat shed and instead of having Oakley and the girls share a shelter, we're gonna give Oakley the retrofitted old tool shed.
He'll have his own shed and his own yard, we were hoping a 40'x60' fenced area would be large enough for him. It's like... 2400 square feet.
We don't normally keep our goats penned up, so I'm not sure how much space he would be happy with.

·
1,524 Posts
Get some sort of lease agreement in writing. This will cover both of you in case something happens to him. If he dies, do you have to pay for him? Can you breed him to outside does? There are a lot if things that can come up that you need to deal with before it happens so everyone is on the same sheet of music.

I leased my Nubian buck out for at least a year. I only had 2 does for him to breed tis season, so he was better off going a coupl eof towns over to a nice big herd who wanted his breeding in their herd. My 2 does will go over for a driveway breeding next month. The leasor is taking as good care of him as she does her own animals

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get some sort of lease agreement in writing. This will cover both of you in case something happens to him. If he dies, do you have to pay for him? Can you breed him to outside does? There are a lot if things that can come up that you need to deal with before it happens so everyone is on the same sheet of music.

I leased my Nubian buck out for at least a year. I only had 2 does for him to breed tis season, so he was better off going a coupl eof towns over to a nice big herd who wanted his breeding in their herd. My 2 does will go over for a driveway breeding next month. The leasor is taking as good care of him as she does her own animals
This is really great advice!
I ended up not taking him because she had decided she'd rather sell him and I didn't really want him that bad. It would have been nice to have fiber kids, but I'm not as into fiber right now as I would have to be with more fiber goats running around. Though the Boer/Angora/Pygmy kids would have made fine meat I bet.
Oh well.
I would like to find a Boer stud for my Boer cross and a Nubian stud for my Alpine cross. I want more color and size and dairyness for those kids. Their mom was a triplet, her mom a quad and her mom just had quads for her 3rd freshening. Gave 10+ lbs I think? Idk for sure.
I like the idea of using her for a foundation doe for a separate dairy project. Hopefully the fiber in her didn't water down those genes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts