Optimizing goat nutrition

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Coolbreeze89, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Coolbreeze89

Coolbreeze89 Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I have read many threads here about minerals, feed, supplements to try to get my goats as healthy as possible. I would appreciate feedback on optimizing my best plan for my nigerian goats.

Currently giving:
    Free choice alfalfa hay
    Browsing on about 3 acres of “country yard” (Bermuda/burr clover and others random plants that get mowed every 10-14 days) plus one acre of unmanaged pasture (though they don’t choose to go in there)
    Dumor goat pellets non-medicated (1) 3-qt scoop twice a day for 9 goats, ages 6-9 months.
    Occasional nibbles of chicken scratch as I try to get them to let me handle them more.

I’ve been using manna pro minerals, but will be switching to purina wind and rain all season.
    At a nearby TSC I have found:
    Champions choice cobalt salt lick, 50# (Caldwell, TX, for those of you looking for it)
    Redmond rock all-natural mineral rock
    **Do I need both of these? Are these the correct ones?

I’ll post pics shortly of some of my goats (not all cooperated for pics!). The little black doeling is supposed to be 6 months, but she is TINY (we were told she was a tiny twin to a huge brother, but we never saw him). I’m located in central Texas and have ‘city’ water.

I have replamin plus gel on order as well as 2g copper bolus capsules.

Everyone is feisty and seems well. The tiny doeling has a bit of dry skin and some browning of her hair on her back legs, which is what got me reading!

Thanks for all the info already shared here, as well as any specific guidance you can offer!

2. Coolbreeze89

Mar 5, 2017
    Here are some of them!

Attached Files:

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    They are so cute! Definitely need a copper bolus and a bit of Replamin won’t hurt either.

I would get both salt licks and they can decide which they want to use and when.

Definitely switch to Purina wind rain & storm.

No chicken scratch, goats should not eat any chicken feed. A better treat may be a handful of pumpkin seeds or some animal crackers.

The rest of your diet sounds great.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  4. Coolbreeze89

Mar 5, 2017

Animal crackers sound great. Thanks!!