The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of at a loss...
Not planned pregnancy. She is percentage boer should be at 13 months old. (The vet had looked at her in Feb and said that if she did get pregnant then she should be fine to carry... Although we did want to wait)
I have felt fluttering a few different times the past month or so. She started to develop a bag in late March.
-A few weeks ago she had discharge that was somewhat bloody looking but not much. I check for ketosis and she was fine.
-A couple days ago I noticed some blood. (First photo).
-The rest of the photos are from yesterday. She has an orange red discharge. I haven't seen it when she urinates but she does have clear discharge with a bit of the reddish orange color after urination sometimes. I did see her coughing and saw the orange/red discharge come out while she coughed.
***Temp has been 109.0 to 102.0... I have checked several times in the past few months.
***Poop has been completely fine
***She has been acting completely fine as well. Playing, eating and drinking have been all normal.
📌 WE HAVE felt kicking in front of her udder on the right side and we felt it last night.
I have checked the pastures for possible abortion and haven't found anything.

❓What could be causing this? I have been told that this should NOT be happening before birth and I have also read that some spotting is normal.

⬆Few days ago
⬇ The rest of the photos are from yesterday

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,700 Posts
Does she have her lagiments? That could be kidding slime. She looks pregnant, its not normal for a doe to have an udder and not be bred. Since she has a udder forming I would say she'll kid in next month or maybe next week.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does she have her lagiments? That could be kidding slime. She looks pregnant, its not normal for a doe to have an udder and not be bred. Since she has a udder forming I would say she'll kid in next month or maybe next week.
I haven't been able to feel ligaments for couple weeks. I'm not really good at finding them I guess. But her tail structure is completely gone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is her back end swollen?
It is the same as it has been. I have noticed that it is very loose though. If her tail lays down weirdly, it will push the vulva to the side. If she brings her hind leg to her mouth to scratch it, then her back end looks very swollen and loose. Current photos attached. Her vulva does look different than yesterday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is that loose, she should be getting ready for babies anyway then.
Alright, I did notice last night that she was VERY unhappy with me trying to check her temperature. Normally she is a bit fussy but after I get the thermometer in she is fine. This time the thermometer went very far in to the point that the screen of it was almost in as well. Which has never happened with her.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,700 Posts
Alright, I did notice last night that she was VERY unhappy with me trying to check her temperature. Normally she is a bit fussy but after I get the thermometer in she is fine. This time the thermometer went very far in to the point that the screen of it was almost in as well. Which has never happened with her.
I don't think that would effect anything if thats what you were getting at. She should be fine, normally my does do not like getting their temp taken and they pitch a fit everytime.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If she hasn’t been pushing, nesting or acting in duress, she is not quite ready yet.

That discharge may say it will be soon.
Keep an eye on her.
She hasn't really show many signs that she wasn't already showing a few months ago. The only time she seems really uncomfortable is when she eats her grain to fast. She will violently chew cud, kind of whine until she burps or poops. I started giving her grain by the handful and waiting until she burps or poops before she gets another and ever since I haven't seen her uncomfortable like that.

Does she act the same?
She has been acting completely normal. Only difference is, the past few days she no longer likes me touching her unless I'm rubbing her down or brushing her. Anytime I try to get a glance of her backside she walks away but a week ago she wouldn't care 🤷‍♀️.

*** I have had several experienced goat owners tell me online to do a two finger check to make sure the kid is positioned right but I honestly don't think she is ready for them to be positioned at all. (First timer the both of us). I don't want to go in and cause more harm than good. She is in my care so if I don't go in like everyone has said, I risk my doe but if I do go in and she is isn't in labor can't that hurt her?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not seeing any discharge that would concern me. While I won't hesitate to go in if needed, I'm not seeing or reading anything that would make me think you need to go in and check.
Alright, thank you! I am in a goat group on Facebook and all of the members keep saying she is close to going into labor and that I need to go in to feel for hooves because the orange/red discharge either means miscarriage or the kids aren't positioned correctly. I felt kicking yesterday morning though. So, at least one must be fine. I don't want to go in if she still ends up having another week to go.

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
When the cervix starts preparing for birth it often breaks tiny capillaries that causes the "bloody show". It happens in all species, people just usually don't see it in their animals.
That's a tiny amount of blood. It always looks like way more than it really is. If there was a detachment or tear, she would be pouring blood. There would be a big puddle on the floor.

I'm convinced that Facebook only exists to give bad information and scare people.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When the cervix starts preparing for birth it often breaks tiny capillaries that causes the "bloody show". It happens in all species, people just usually don't see it in their animals.
That's a tiny amount of blood. It always looks like way more than it really is. If there was a detachment or tear, she would be pouring blood. There would be a big puddle on the floor.

I'm convinced that Facebook only exists to give bad information and scare people.
Alright, thank you!!! I wasn't aware of this. I did have someone say that it most likely wasn't enough for an abortion and I have heard quite a few others say it was normal but I did have those who were telling me that if I didn't "check" her and all that then I'm risking my doe and so on. She is acting completely normal though for a pregnant lady. Thanks for putting me at ease 😊

1 - 20 of 64 Posts