The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally ordered a buck apron.
Tick (the buck) accidently got a rain bath yesterday when I went out with my kids (human & adult-age).
I have had him on a run most days because I am tired of seeing his fat a$$ in his pen
and there is sooo much good growing goat food out there.
I usually put him up when I go out but,,,well... there was no rain in the forecast and not a cloud in the sky.
We got 2 inches. He looks cleaner but does not smell any better nor has his attitude washed clean.
Measuring him was fun. It took attaching his highness to the fence with a double-end snap, bribing him with 3 pieces of bread
and crawling about with hay twine. I was not going to use my sewing tape measure on a stinking billy goat.
So he's 25" around and 10" shoulder to shoulder.
I confess I guessed the body to back of knee because he was waving his thing at me.
(That also means breeding season is really here. He hasn't done THAT since February or so.)
So I ordered a small flourescent orange apron with chest strap.
I really do not want February babies again, trying for 2nd week of March.:oops:
I shall post a pic when I get it on him, and we shall see if it works.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I love my buck apron. My buck is not in rut yet, (any day now), and he is still with the herd, just hanging out amd going for browse.
I got the same colour as you and also the chest strap. My buck has big horns. The chest strap has a slider that I need to move to get it over his horns, then move it back. Luckily my buck is still really calm and lets me do it no prob. The day he waves something at me, he will have to stay by himself.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,224 Posts
Ive had House of Bacchus.aprons for 4 years now. I love them. So far no_Oooooooops.
But they work and.cover all thats needed. I Have used xsmall,small,medium,& Large. All different colors and My boys look good in them ! And I continue to use them year after yesr!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I ended up purchasing based on the reviews here. the lady is super nice, and answers all questions. at first i was thinking why bother just alot of money if i end up banding them, but its totally worth it. seems like they will last for a bit.
the young boys dont mind at all. one of the bucklings, the fitting was a bit off for some reason ,so i think if i order more next year i will try for a smaller size so the chest strap can sit higher up without hitting the girth strap buckle.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got it yesterday. I grabbed all my mail on the way to work...and opened it at my desk.
I had a lot to explain about goat birth control!
I work with all males, most between the ages of 25-40, so it was bad goat sex puns all night.
This was funnier than trying to explain what Chicken Nipples were last month.
I'll put it on him this evening, and take a pic. I'll leave him to wear it in his run tonight and , if it stays put, I'll probably turn him out tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,224 Posts
That is one good lookin boy! Yes its fun to watch them run in the apron the first time. They get use to it very quickly. I hope you enjoy the protection of the apron as much as I have in my herds. Its really a nice peace of mind for me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The apron is gross. The horse went after him for the first 2 days. He seemed pretty happy, the others not so much.
I had to bring him in and pen him up yesterday, I am working nights and when I went out to feed before work he was standing spraddle-legged and heavily panting.
All his running around in the heat...the heat index was 110 yesterday. He got locked up with hay and gatorade water.
I'll put him back out after I get some coffee, just woke up. Only 106 deg. today!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I know what you mean. My buck was with the girls (apron on) for the last 3 months. When rut hit, he chased them a lot more. He also is aggressive to my wether now. So he only gets to go once a day, when we all go for a hike together.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I work I have 12-13 hour shifts so no hiking:(.
I also work outdoors so when I get off work I just do the basics.
That was a reason for the buck apron, the fewer goats penned up - the less packing feed pans+water+extra attention.
I just came off a string of nights so I have a few days off, I'll put him out this evening.
I'm going to try some method to have him out at night & up during the day but that will also depend on how much of an a$$
Tickfaw is being.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts