Oregon Oregonians, Washingtonians, or Californianseffected by the fires?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by CottonwoodBoerGoats, Sep 8, 2020.

1. CottonwoodBoerGoats

CottonwoodBoerGoats Active Member

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    There are multiple fires burning miles apart from each other caused by different things. I don’t know, but that must’ve been a interesting gender reveal party! (Didn’t that happen in Arizona a few years ago?)

2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Keeping all you guys out west in my thoughts.

3. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Its so dry out here if you breath wrong a fire will start. I cant imagine the guilt that family is going through although very irresponsible of them.

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    You guys are all so sweet. I can not tell you how thankful I am.
    We are actually very lucky, we didn’t take even half the numbers we normally do up there because we got another lease with BLM (bureau of land management) so a lot of the cows are over there not up there. But dad talked to the forest service today and they are working on putting a line in and trying to get it stopped since it has slowed way down trying to take out houses. I think I’m going to be safe on this fire.
    Oh gosh no, it’s not the one that got started with the gender reveal. I felt SO bad for that couple over that until I found it they used a huge thing that was like a rocket launcher. I thought it might have been like a little part popper. We are not sure what started this though. Rumor, which that’s all it is, is that the electric company started it. Not PG&E it was another name. Another rumor I heard today was a meth lab blew up. Who knows. What’s really sad was it was just a spot fire so the forest service was on it and their dozer broke down and it went out of control. But it’s under investigation of what started it so we will see. Either way it’s very sad. Last I checked over 300 houses have been lost.
    But I talked to the gal that lost her store and most likely a lot of her cattle and she is absolutely traumatized. She couldn’t get out because everyone flipped out and started running each other over. Parents were just leaving their kids. She said there was no way she could leave those kids and even if she could she couldn’t fight her way out. Only a few people were actually hurt from being burned but the rest was caused by stupid people. I am absolutely disgusted and I didn’t even see it.
    The smoke is absolutely terrible here. And I went out this morning to feed and water all my birds and found 2 of my pigeons I raised since they were tiny little things dead. My sister thinks it’s the smoke, I’m not a pigeon expert by any means so not sure if that’s true or not but I got the other 3 original babies and put them in a rabbit cage in the house. They are unhappy but if they stay alive that’s all I care about.

5. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I can't imagine what it must be like for you right now. I have had a fear of fire ever since I was very little and I just can't begin to imagine what it must be like to live with this type of threat to your property and family. I feel like I take for granted the safety I live in. You must be a very strong person to be handling all this. I hope everything turns out for you and yours. Stay safe. We all love you.

6. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    You guys are all so sweet. I can not tell you how thankful I am.
    We are actually very lucky, we didn’t take even half the numbers we normally do up there because we got another lease with BLM (bureau of land management) so a lot of the cows are over there not up there. But dad talked to the forest service today and they are working on putting a line in and trying to get it stopped since it has slowed way down trying to take out houses. I think I’m going to be safe on this fire.
    Oh gosh no, it’s not the one that got started with the gender reveal. I felt SO bad for that couple over that until I found it they used a huge thing that was like a rocket launcher. I thought it might have been like a little part popper. We are not sure what started this though. Rumor, which that’s all it is, is that the electric company started it. Not PG&E it was another name. Another rumor I heard today was a meth lab blew up. Who knows. What’s really sad was it was just a spot fire so the forest service was on it and their dozer broke down and it went out of control. But it’s under investigation of what started it so we will see. Either way it’s very sad. Last I checked over 300 houses have been lost.
    But I talked to the gal that lost her store and most likely a lot of her cattle and she is absolutely traumatized. She couldn’t get out because everyone flipped out and started running each other over. Parents were just leaving their kids. She said there was no way she could leave those kids and even if she could she couldn’t fight her way out. Only a few people were actually hurt from being burned but the rest was caused by stupid people. I am absolutely disgusted and I didn’t even see it.
    The smoke is absolutely terrible here. And I went out this morning to feed and water all my birds and found 2 of my pigeons I raised since they were tiny little things dead. My sister thinks it’s the smoke, I’m not a pigeon expert by any means so not sure if that’s true or not but I got the other 3 original babies and put them in a rabbit cage in the house. They are unhappy but if they stay alive that’s all I care about.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    So crazy sad. I see the maps of the fires and am floored. Like the whole west coast is burning. Jessica im glad to hear you are safe..prayers for your husband and all fire fighters...keep safe!!

8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So glad you are safe, sorry about the pidgeons.
    You are a strong woman! Thanks for keeping us updated.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Glad your back on here Jessica84! I was tired of keeping everyone informed! I know they need to hear it ALL from you! So glad you and yours are doing well!

Kass, Iluvlilly!, MadHouse and 2 others like this.
  11. Llaughingllama

Llaughingllama Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Montana
    Hey Jessica84 --

Yeah, I read about the woman who lost her cattle and her store. It sounded really awful. And parents leaving their kids? Are they insane? :mad: They don't deserve to have kids. Too bad they reproduced.

Fires are insane. Been in enough to know they're awful, but yours looks like something apocalyptic. Stay safe and we're sending good thoughts in your direction.

12. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Sorry Moers I shouldn’t have had you do that.
    The fire definitely started and just spread like crazy. It went so fast and then between the winds and the smoke stopping the planes from helping just everything was working for that fire. But the weather and humidity is finally on our side. It is slowing down and now they are able to safely start doing firing operations. Where they can burn in front of the fire and put it out so the fire runs out of fuel.
    I looked at the map this morning, it shows where there is heat from a satellite, and it shows the fire really up on us now. But I’m not sure if they were able to do firing operations yesterday and that is what it’s picking up. There is no way to go up there since the fire hit the road my parents were able to use and there is so much crap still burning from a week ago along the other road so it’s just too hot.
    People are nuts! It was the kid part that made me so sick. There is no way anyone could have been able to rip my kids from my arms in that situation. But I also would have been gone as soon as they told me to leave. Those people were very luck the lake was down and they were able to get on the shore.
    I don’t think i at home am in any more danger. The wait and see what is going on with the cows is killing us but nothing we can do about it.

13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

:bighug:(grouphug):hug:we are thinking of you guy's

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey @Jessica84 I didnt.mind...you were busy!! Im GLAD you are able to be on here now..and explain ALL thats going
    On. I know everyone missed.you and was thinking of you
    .now they know you are ok...thats the main thing!

MadHouse, Jessica84 and Boers4ever like this.
  15. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I’ve been on tenterhooks keeping up with your situation! jessica84! Moers has been keeping me posted. Praying things are calming down and your brother and husband are staying safe!
    I’ve fought fires in LA AND Ventura counties so I know what they’re like and they’re scary as can be.

I’m praying for all y’all in the Pacific NW
    Stay safe!

16. Nigerian Dwarfs

Nigerian Dwarfs New Member

Aug 25, 2020
    washington
    We live in Washington - the smoke is terrible. Is it going to hurt the goats?

17. CottonwoodBoerGoats

CottonwoodBoerGoats Active Member

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Are they acting different? Breathing hard, sneezing, caughing, red eyes, or off feed and/ or water? If so relocating the goats temporarily would be the absolute best thing for them.
    But if their fine, garlic, fresh water, and close watching.

my goats have actually been happier and doing more grazing and spending more time outside since the smoke brought the temperature down from the 80s to the 50s and 60s.

hope this helps!

18. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

It’s amazing to me that you care about each and every one of your animals’ safety, yet some sick parents won’t care for their kids. Praying for you out in the fires! Stay safe!

19. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree If you can get them out do so, but I don’t think it would be the end of the world If you can’t. It is BAD here. I’m kinda in a bowl and the smoke blows right down on me and the goats are doing fantastic. I am keeping a super super close eye on them but it honestly doesn’t seem to he effecting them one bit. I was worried about them since my pigeons and people’s poultry being lost but found out they are more prone to breathing issues because they they don’t breath normally. They basically breath more deeply and every breath is like a 2 for 1.
    I do care very much about my animals and to a huge degree would give up and do so much for them but still to be honest the animals don’t even come close to what I would do for my kids.
    The fire today is very much in on us. It still has a ways to go until it reaches where we pushed a lot of the cows and they can keep going north and hit the wilderness. That is a huge fine but one we will happily pay. I talked to my husband last night and he said it jumped the line they put in where he is. He is so exhausted. This is day 63 since he has had a day off. It really sucks because he is so close but can’t come home.

20. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. Glad you are all still safe. :hug: