Oregon Oregonians, Washingtonians, or Californianseffected by the fires?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by CottonwoodBoerGoats, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Oh the poor babies. You know its sad when they get hurt. They are domesticated so the instinct to flee is bred out. They freeze out of fright. I pray every day that there is an end to your fires.
    Last year one of our nature reserves here burned for 2 months. They were so concerned about how many homes were lost with no concern to the natural diversity that got destroyed and imballance of the eco system. The fire was caused by people who thought it was bright to light a chinese lantern and let it go over the driest part of the reserve. We have been in draught for 6 years now. Those animals and indigenouse plants did not stand a chance.
    Our fire fighters are so incompetant it took 2 months to prevent the blaze from jumping into the next province.
    I am sending prayers.

2. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yes, I was a FF paramedic in the late 70's thru the 80's before I had my kids then I went to nursing school to be with my kids more. It's a job you do because it's a calling and you forget about losing sleep and such when you see that you're needed.;) your husband is a hero, I'm sure he hates being away from you but takes comfort in knowing he's keeping you and the kids safe. Gas run cars is the least of his problems when his states residents are in the line of fire both figuratively and literally.
    Anyway, @Jessica84, can you get Silvadine Cream? It'll be really helpful for your burned critters. It's what they use in burn units but there's a non-prescription strength sold or maybe from your vet. It'll help cut down the infection rates. I'll see if I can track some down if you can't get it. Keep me posted.

Prayers for all of y'all dealing with the fires!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020

3. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Jessica that’s good the fire isn’t close to your house!!
    So sad about your cows. Bet they were so scared when the fire came through their grazing grounds.

Littleheathens:
    I live here where the fires were being set. Please remember the news can be fake. Even snopes I’m guessing. We cannot believe everything that’s reported. I know you probably know that. I’m not trying to be rude. It’s just that I live here.

These are actual neighbors and community people here where I live that had fires set or had gas cans staged on their property that never exploded. One community member had a burn on their property they never lit. The FBI was here too investigating at a neighbors home down the road. I’m just pointing this out because I am here. I live here. The media is often wrong with how they report stories. In this case I wouldn’t believe the false narrative that the fires were not set. That’s just not true.

The policeman said that they can never say tho this stuff about what was found and fired being set etc. Because I think they worry people would take things into their own hands and trouble would ensue.

So.....ya all can believe what you want to believe. But I know what’s happening in my community. It’s unbelievable people would set fires. I just can’t believe how this has affected many people in Oregon!

Also if you guys wanted to donate to the clackamas Oregon ffa program I’m sure they would take donations! They boarded my animals and many others at no cost!! We were so incredibly grateful!!

We are so thankful for all of your kind words! So thankful for this forum!

I hope all continues to go well for Jill and Jessica!!

Tami

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  4. littleheathens

littleheathens Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    Oh, I'm sorry Tami. i reread what I wrote and can see it was misleading even though I tried to be careful with my word choice. Snopes is a very reliable fact-checking source that I find really useful when it comes to getting to the bottom of possible fake news.
    I read the oregonlive article you shared (tactical pause?!?!) and several other articles on that site. It is clear there is arson and they made several arrests associated with it, probably right where you live! Most of those arsonists are mentally ill (which sort of explains the "how could someone do that?" response we all have).

In no way do I mean to challenge what you are seeing and experiencing! You are in the midst of insane tragedy and sharing all the stories is a valuable educational link to many of us. It makes it feel real instead of like news.

Are you in Clackamas County?

5. littleheathens

littleheathens Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
  6. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Hi LittleHeathens:
    No worries! I should actually apologize myself I am sorry if I came across rude, hopefully I didn't do that.

Downtown Portland which is less than a hour away is already on 'fire' with riots on a weekly basis. And the police don't want more people taking into their own hands these situations....

Yes we are in Clackamas County.

This is a pretty accurately written article, hopefully I haven't already shared this here: https://www.oregonlive.com/news/202...-erupts-over-performance-of-firefighters.html

Interestingly, our town is voting in Nov whether to merge our local fire dept district with a much larger fire dept district. There is great opposition to that now because of how these local fires were handled or should I say, not handled early on. So where before the fires it was practically a 'shoe in' to merge the districts....now I don't see that happening. Our town isn't happy with the larger fire district.

7. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yikes. This is so devastating. It's disgusting that people have started some of these fires on purpose, but given everything else that's going on in the country right now I can't say it's surprising. Just sad.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Buck naked Boers I think you live close to my best friends parents because everything you are saying they said the same thing. I’ll have to ask her where they live and see if it’s close to you. Also from what you are saying with the hush hush I’m wondering if maybe that is the case with this fire. It has been 22 days since it first started and not a word on how it was started. They are usually fairly fast about getting that figured out and posted.
    Well so far we have almost 30 home that are ok, I have 12 that are burned but only 6 that are bad and I am doctoring and 11 dead and 1 my dad came across and had to put down. My dad was coming down with a load and lost his breaks last night so they unloaded and left their pickup so today it was mechanics day. We got a vets number today and I talked to him. Very nice man and although he said he is not a burn pro he gave me some ideas on what to do with this girls and what to watch for. My biggest fear is I’m going to walk out there one morning and their hooves are going to fall off and I made them suffer just to be shot! But he said no that is not the case at all. They will simply not be able to get up when it does start going that way and that’s when they should be put down. So that made me feel 100X better. He also said most meds are very harsh when it comes to burns. Use the honey I have or something called biogel and most important keep the flies off of them. Which I have been spray the flies on them but today I sprayed their whole pen down.
    My one jersey died, the other one is 100% better. I am absolutely heart broken over that right now. She was my buddy and such a good girl.
    Husband got his 24 hours off finally! I am making him sleep and he hits the road early tomorrow morning to go to another fire. Not sure where yet but I think it will be down in Napa valley since they have a big one and high winds.
    So that is the update. I have a feeling it’s going to get depressing so I’ll hold off on the updates until we are done finding out.

10. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

It’s so sad to hear all the loss caused by arsonists. Glad everybody is still ok though! Please stay safe!

11. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    So sorry about your cattle. I hope more are found alive and well and the injured ones recover.

12. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Hi Jessica. Interesting!! Yeah let me know where they live. It’s crazy what’s gone on here! Nobody would believe it unless you actually were going through it and saw and heard what’s going on from respected people here.

That’s so awful what’s going on with your herd of cows. I hope they pull through and you don’t loose more of them.

Caramelkittey:
    Yes it is. I wouldn’t believe it, I’d be questioning just like some are here, but honestly as ridiculous as this all sounds.....it’s happening.

We are having a heat spell again supposed to be high 80s and possibly 90 tomorrow warm through the weekend and maybe beyond they are saying. Thankfully we did have rain so that helped a bit. Will hopefully have no more fires started. I’m concerned the hot weather will stir the fires up again. Only 34%contained here. Will see. Hope not.

The riots in downtown Portland slowed or stopped during the fires. It was horribly smoky even downtown. After the fires the riots started again. But it sounds like things have calmed down some. There was supposed to be a huge protest/riot last sat night. But that didn’t happen.

So bottom line the fires were started. By whom, nobody knows for sure yet. I just hope they can catch more of the people who started these fires. They have caught a few of the people who started fires in southern Oregon. So far tho I’m not hearing anything yet on the fires in the further north part of Oregon.

Thank you all for your support. My husband went driving yesterday with our son to see the fire damage down the rd. It was so amazing. It jumped a lot. Missed trees and some homes then would jump the road and burn on the other side. The winds were horrendous during the fire.

So sad for those who lost loved ones or homes etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2020
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm guessing no one will ever know the full truth about whodunit or why.

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I just read this entire post. Wow! You all are amazing to be able to get thru all the fires etc.
    Stay safe and sending lots of prayers.

16. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Thanks goats rock! It’s been interesting.

Damfino we don’t have to agree about all this craziness here in Oregon. I don’t have the answers. It’s all been surreal and incredibly sad to see my state I love being burned.

Downtown Portland has been “on fire”with riots for awhile now....none of that makes sense either.

None of the actual forest fires made sense either. So I don’t have the answers. I just know it’s all pretty sad!!
    The Oregon state I grew up in doesn’t seem to exist anymore. Its pretty sad.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Snopes is not reliable, found it to be wrong.

18. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yeah I’m with you on this one. Not at all saying this is the case in California with our fires, we are a dry state.

I remember when all that crazy started and here in California we had it bad as well. My dad was actually hauling cattle and he hen he would hit the larger cities he could look out and see black smoke coming up.

Nothing has been said about most of the fires started out here, other then the gender party fire but usually they are pretty fast about getting to the root of what caused it and I haven’t heard anything.
    But then again what could beat a fire started by a gender reveal party.........gosh I still shake my head every time I think about that one.

19. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I think the gender reveal party fire is the most embarrassing thing I've heard in a long time. A gender reveal firework started a huge wildfire in Arizona a couple of years ago, and last year someone's grandmother was accidentally killed at a gender reveal party. Maybe this fire will finally put an end to these stupid gender parties.

20. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Just glad everybody is safe!