The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone caught orf?

I’ve had this terrible infection for two weeks on my arm.

First they thought it was staph. Then today was seen and he was thinking maybe a random herpes virus. But he felt neither one really fit my arm.

Then I got home and realized it could be orf so I called him back. He looked it up while we were on the phone and he agreed. Likely orf.

I will still treat for mrsa just in case while my cultures are being cultured. Also taking 5 days of antivirals for the herpes or orf whichever it is.

So anyone else caught it?

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
Anyone caught orf?

I've had this terrible infection for two weeks on my arm.

First they thought it was staph. Then today was seen and he was thinking maybe a random herpes virus. But he felt neither one really fit my arm.

Then I got home and realized it could be orf so I called him back. He looked it up while we were on the phone and he agreed. Likely orf.

I will still treat for mrsa just in case while my cultures are being cultured. Also taking 5 days of antivirals for the herpes or orf whichever it is.

So anyone else caught it?
Oh dang if you are taking valcyclovir i am sorry! I take it for feverblister when they get bad on me. That mess will dry you up so bad! So make sure to drink TONS while on t if that is what you are taking. It IS great stuff but man cotton mouth from hellllllo.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh dang if you are taking valcyclovir i am sorry! I take it for feverblister when they get bad on me. That mess will dry you up so bad! So make sure to drink TONS while on t if that is what you are taking. It IS great stuff but man cotton mouth from hellllllo.
Acyclovir 400mg 3X a day. Same thing? Doctor said it's tamiflu?

·
8,368 Posts
Impetigo? I had it on my arm as a kid. Terrible. Freaked my mom out. I caught it from my horse.

·
8,368 Posts
I hope you get it cleared up soon. Can you give it back to a goat? (I'm curious). Once you have it, are you immune to it after it clears up?

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope you get it cleared up soon. Can you give it back to a goat? (I'm curious). Once you have it, are you immune to it after it clears up?
I'm not sure. My doctor said it can take 6 weeks (or more) to clear. I know it hard to transmit it to other humans but I'm taking a lot of precautions to keep from giving it to any other critter or human.

I sure hope I'm going to be immune. This is so painful. I don't want it ever again. And now I will be more diligent in using gloves when shoveling goat manure. None of my goats have a current outbreak but it can live for years in our soil and manure here in the tropics (no freezes) so that's likely how I contracted it.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today is the first day since September 6th that it doesn’t look the same or worse. It might be a little better. Hard to tell for sure. I even keep a daily photo diary of the sore. But I think it looks a little better. Still hurts like the dickens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its runs in the Boer breed I read. We had a little one we bought come down with it. We had to disinfect EVERYTHING to save our other animals from getting it. Turned out her mom was a carrier and the other 2 kids came down with it as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts