The Goat Spot Forum banner

Orf in humans

1K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  lottsagoats1 
#1 ·
Anyone caught orf?

I’ve had this terrible infection for two weeks on my arm.

First they thought it was staph. Then today was seen and he was thinking maybe a random herpes virus. But he felt neither one really fit my arm.

Then I got home and realized it could be orf so I called him back. He looked it up while we were on the phone and he agreed. Likely orf.

I will still treat for mrsa just in case while my cultures are being cultured. Also taking 5 days of antivirals for the herpes or orf whichever it is.

So anyone else caught it?

#3 ·
Anyone caught orf?

I've had this terrible infection for two weeks on my arm.

First they thought it was staph. Then today was seen and he was thinking maybe a random herpes virus. But he felt neither one really fit my arm.

Then I got home and realized it could be orf so I called him back. He looked it up while we were on the phone and he agreed. Likely orf.

I will still treat for mrsa just in case while my cultures are being cultured. Also taking 5 days of antivirals for the herpes or orf whichever it is.

So anyone else caught it?
Oh dang if you are taking valcyclovir i am sorry! I take it for feverblister when they get bad on me. That mess will dry you up so bad! So make sure to drink TONS while on t if that is what you are taking. It IS great stuff but man cotton mouth from hellllllo.

#14 ·
I'm not sure. My doctor said it can take 6 weeks (or more) to clear. I know it hard to transmit it to other humans but I'm taking a lot of precautions to keep from giving it to any other critter or human.

I sure hope I'm going to be immune. This is so painful. I don't want it ever again. And now I will be more diligent in using gloves when shoveling goat manure. None of my goats have a current outbreak but it can live for years in our soil and manure here in the tropics (no freezes) so that's likely how I contracted it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.