The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing 3 show does and a buck from extremely nice lines, however they recently have been diagnosed with sore mouth, which the owner has disclosed to us. The sore mouth has completely healed up now on all the goats and they are otherwise a clean, tested herd. I hate to pass them up over this, but I also don’t want to introduce a new problem to my herd. I have never had it in any of my goats. I read it often doesn’t come back, but of course it’s a possibility. Does anyone else have experience with orf? Would you buy these goats or pass them up? Would I be creating a problem for myself by buying them? I am having a really hard time making a decision and would love to opinions in regards to this situation. I’m just not sure what the best decision is. Thank you in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
Agree. Once healed completely..scabs gone..pink skin where sores were..they are safe.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Have to agree. Once scabs are gone and skin is healed then it would be fine. You would not want scabs on your farm. If I remember right from my vet teching days there is a vaccine but it was a live virus. So I think the farms that used it had more issues then just having a goat with it, but that's been many years ago. So I don't remember fully their experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts