Orf/Scabby mouth

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Aug 9, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So I've never had orf in my herd, until this week or maybe it was last week, I noticed one of the orphan lambs from the neighbour had it. Not a big deal, it cleared up by itself.

It took me a little while to realise it.

But he's not the only one who has got it.

It hurts like hell.

I have four lesions in my mouth and one external one that looks just like a cold sore.

Man oh man oh man it hurts.

Keren is not a happy camper.

I just hope mine clears up as quick as the lambs did.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Keren, are you talking like thrush? A lot of babies get it that are on the bottle (human that is). I had it when I was a Senior in High School. It was the most miserable thing in the world. I could only eat like luke warm stuff and it had to be soft. I ate luke warm Jello for weeks. YUCK.

I hope that is not it. It is the worst. I hope you fell better soon.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    nah, not thrush.

we call it scabby mouth here in Australia, I believe the US term is orf. proper name is contagious ecthyma.

[ame="http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enAU286AU286&q=scabby+mouth"]http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... abby+mouth[/ame]

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    actually maybe you call it 'sore mouth'

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow....you have certainly had enough going on in the last few weeks and now this :hug:

Yes, we call itt sore mouth, and thankfully, I've never had to deal with it.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Wow, I knew humans could get it but I never knew of anybody that actually got it.

We had orf the second year we had goats and ours had it for three weeks before it started to heal even though we were doing all the stuff we could for them. Then after everybody cleared up I discovered that if you take epsom salt mixed with warm water and dip their mouths in it that it dries the sores up. I gave the recipe to a few people and they said it worked wonders :) So, maybe an epsom salt rinse would work? I wouldn't swallow it though, it is a laxative.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto....I am sorry you got that.....it must be so painful.. :( ..hope you heal soon... :hug:

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    oh beugh you got orf on your mouth? ouch!

I got mine on my finger and it was sore but... ok and it went away in a few weeks. With the lambs I just put petrol on it but heck that would hurt on your OWN mouth - I know the lambs go crazy!

The nice thing is though that you will be immune once you're over it =]

LW

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    lol thanks for the silver lining weevil

ew, epsom salts taste awful bleh. but if it clears it up I'll try it. yeah wouldnt want to swallow it lol I know what that stuff does to goats when I give it to them. not nice

all the stuff on the web says mostly humans get it on their hands, occasionally on their eyes and penises (ouch). I didnt come across anything about it being in the mouth but I figure thats what it is.

I was careful when I was handling them, gloves, washing hands etc. but I guess one of the others must have maybe been carrying it without being symptomatic, and I handled that one without gloves, and I bite my nails, hey presto, scabby mouth in my mouth.

I'm just glad its INSIDE my mouth (like ulcers) and not all over my face cos gross

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Sounds painful! Hope it heals quickly :hug:

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    another good thing, keren, is that it wont spread on humans - it is just localised. You must have had a couple of skin abrasions for the virus to get in more than 1 spot. Like when my friend had it on 2 fingers because he had cuts on both.

LW

PS I can come over with the petrol if you like :wink: :greengrin:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    no petrol thanks. I'll be fine

yeah I had read that, thats good, I was worried bout it spreading further.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  14. BrigiesBoerGoats618

BrigiesBoerGoats618 Brigie's Boer Goats

Feb 16, 2013
    Dorsey, IL
    Its called orf disease in humans and contagious ecthyma in goats and Sheeps. One of my kids got it and i didn't know i must of touched him and had an open soar on my finger i knew what it was and new humans could get it i just didn't see it. Couple days later i noticed a sore on my finger looked like a blister and was white in the middle and red around the outside i still didn't think that i got it. So a week went by and it kept getting bigger so i went to the er to get looked at. They thought it was just an infection and gave me medicine for an infection. 2 days after taking the medicine i started getting bumps on my hands then noticed my feet getting it and around my ankles, it itched like crazy not even 30 min of sleep. So i thought it was an allergic reaction to the medicine since i never take any i wasn't sure. So called my doctor and made an appointment. It was itching so bad and spreading i went back to er before doc appointment because i couldn't Stand it. They gave me shot and a prescription but they never saw anything like it and didnt know. So after that i went to doctor a cpl hrs later. Got looked at and he didnt really know either sent me to get blood work done and mad an appointment to the dermatologist. Just went there this morning got all looked at and told me he thinks the finger is orf. I didn't know what the orf was cause i just new the name for goats and so i mentioned i work with goats like i told everyone else and told him the name of the disease the goats can get and sure enough he comes back and says its the same thing. I was just in a stage two cause my finger was getting better but i have this rash all over that itches like crazy. So now I'm on a cpl different medicines to help it. Almost had it for two weeks now. Anyways from what I've read it can get into your Hands from an open sore you might have and its very unlikely for you to pass it onto another human. Luckily i dont have it by my mouth or inside just my hands arms feet ankles and thighs with the hands and feet itching the most. Its not painful you just can get anything done because of the itch. Other people might be different but im just letting you know you can get it because i have it and that's why im up at 2:30am writing this lol. Its getting better though, still love my goats even though they can be a pain sometimes.... Literally.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  15. Oh my goodness! This seems horrible! We have never had anything like this down where I am.

Sending prayers for quick recovery!

16. imthegrt1

imthegrt1 New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    kentucky
  17. BrigiesBoerGoats618

Feb 16, 2013
    Dorsey, IL
    Its getting better just annoying just wanted to let you guys know to be careful when the goats get scabby mouth cause its definitely not a fun thing to have.

18. BrigiesBoerGoats618

Feb 16, 2013
    Dorsey, IL
    I did find out that i will have a lifetime immunity to the orf disease so i cannot get it again from the goats!! Yay lol

19. Guess that is good news! You will never have to suffer again!